Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've done some searching on google, but I just can't get my head around the idea of newsgroups. Do isp's have their own newsgroups? Are there any public newsgroups that anyone can access? For example, I keep hearing things about alt.binaries... . Which program is best for browsing newsgroups, and how do I set it up? Also, if newsgroups are public, where is all the data for them stored?

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Ya, id like to know that kinda stuff myself. How does the newsgroup system work?

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
newsgroups are a little hazzy to me too.

But newsgroups are just a place to talk, like this place. There are some sort of P2P newsgroup services, but you have to pay for most of them, if not all

·
Heh...
1,905 Posts
Kirby said:
newsgroups are a little hazzy to me too.

But newsgroups are just a place to talk, like this place. There are some sort of P2P newsgroup services, but you have to pay for most of them, if not all
True newsgroups primary purpose is to talk but it's also a place to download stuff like any P2P but instead of uploading, you're just downloading what someone else uploaded and get it off the news server.

I use a program called Grabit for newsgroups. Here are some tutorials in using this program.

http://www.shemes.com/community/viewforum.php?f=6

BTW, my ISP is who I use as a server. I heard there are some free newsgroups servers out there if your ISP doesn't provide one but I never tried them. A Google search would be ideal to find out more.

·
Extra Large Member
936 Posts
1) Newsgroups are much like bulletin boards. The primary difference is that they are slower to get new posts, yet will have many more posts. Imagine if all the bulletin boards on the web were networked together. Instead of going to ngemu.com for example, you would search for a newsgroup on emulation.
1b) While the vast majority of newsgroups are text only, all the alt.binaries ones (there's also alt.binairies (people can't spell ;) ), free.binaries, and possibly others) however have attachments. These can be pictures, mp3s, roms, programs, whatever is appropriate to the group. Note: Don't try to send binaries to a group that doesn't have binaries (or some misspelling thereof) in it's name, or you'll piss off everyone in the group.
2)
Also, if newsgroups are public, where is all the data for them stored?
Newsgroups are like the original p2p (...and they are litterally the ancestors of the internet), they are non-centralized. There are countless newsgroup servers around the net, and each holds (supposedly) the same information. Exactly how much info any given server has depends on things like how long it keeps posts, how often it connects to the servers that actually have posts, etc.
3) Newsgroups are also closely related to email. Most email clients include usenet (newsgroup) support, and vice-versa.
4) Your ISP should provide a usenet server, typically it'll be the same as your email server, but with nntp or news instead of pop, smtp, or imap. (ie nntp.earthlink.net or news.aol.com, or whatever) You can check your ISP's home/help page, or just try nntp.[YOUR ISP].[COM/NET/ORG/WHATEVER] or news.[YOUR ISP].[COM/NET/ORG/WHATEVER], it should be one or the other. There are also free ones (although they're not as good), and pay ones (mainly only good if you are really intent on downloading binaries), just do a websearch for "free usenet servers". Unless you're using a free server, you'll need to login. If you're using your ISP's server, your name/pass should be the same one you use for your ISP email account, and for logging onto the web.
5) As you've probably noticed (or at least wondered about) by now, newsgroups have another name, usenet. They are more commonly called newsgroups, but more accurately called usenet.
6) Software. Odds are, you can get on usenet with what's on your computer right now. Outlook/espress can access newsgroups, as can browser packages like opera, netscape, and mozilla (not firefox though. FF is just a browser). If you are using some other email client, odds are it can connect to usenet as well, you simply need to setup a usenet account in it (much the same as setting up an email acct in it, but choose "news" instead of "mail"). If you try to access it from opera, you'll instead simply get a prompt for a name and password (unless you're using a free server which doesn't require a login). To try logging onto a newsgroup right now, put this into your address bar: news://alt.discuss You can also do it: news://NAME:[email protected] In either case, you should get a prompt asking for the usenet server, try news.YOUISP.COM or nntp.YOURISP.COM.
If you just want to read newsgroup posts, any software should be fine. If you want to get binaries, you oughta get a good prog. Xnews is a good freeware newsgroup prog. You can find more by searching for "usenet client" or "newsgroup client".
Lastly, have you ever seen the groups link on google? That is also usenet. There used to be a free site called dejanews.com, it allowed people to read/post to the various non-binary groups from the web (much like webbased email). A few years ago, google bought them out and created groups.google.com. You can now read usenet posts from there, and you can post to usenet from google's new beta version of it.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts