Next Generation Emulation banner

In what way do you use Linux?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was just wondering to what degree people here use it. I personally have a live CD plus Fedora installed on a VM which I sometimes use.

·
Registered
2,166 Posts
I dont use it often (due to the crap open gl support on my integrated card), but when im bored i install ubuntu, just to see how its progressing, speaking of, im just about to again.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Used live Cd on a few occasions and used it as a main os ( and when i say main i mean main i dont dual boot) for around a month or two when i wasnt gaming (still with the other ati X1550), probably aint gonna use it anymore since ati drivers for linux su... for HD series especially.

·
Premium Member
17,148 Posts
The only way i use linux is just to recover some datas if something goes wrong on my windows and i don´t have other option then i use it... otherwise is just a waste of HDD space/time for me :p anyways i have some respect for that OS.

and yeah am not a linux fan :p

·
Registered
246 Posts
i'm using linux as my primary os on my aspire one. it's faster and works just as well.

i only use windows when i have to, though on my main computer i stick with windows since i use it for gaming.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
I've got Debian Lenny running on my main PC with virtualbox running XP for photoshop. I also have Vista running on an 80gb HDD in the same PC for gaming.

I've got a Debian Lenny version running with xfce instead of gnome running on my vaio. So far I'm only using it for internet access and some writings. When I get the sound working; it'll make some good use as a small mobile media device.

·
カラム
365 Posts
I use Linux almost exclusively, Ubuntu 9.04 main/Fedora 11 Preview playtoy on my main PC (plus Vista in a VM), Ubuntu main/Windows XP dual-boot on my laptop, CentOS 5.3 exclusively on my server, Mythbuntu/Windows XP dual boot on my media centre, the rest of the computers my family have have are Windows XP exclusively.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use Free BSD
Well I suppose you could include it here, since it is kinda what I meant i.e. open-source OS

The only way i use linux is just to recover some datas if something goes wrong on my windows and i don´t have other option then i use it... otherwise is just a waste of HDD space/time for me :p anyways i have some respect for that OS.

and yeah am not a linux fan :p
I usually only use it off live CDs/USB Keys for PC repair type stuff.
I used to use Ubuntu for stuff like that too.....until I came across System Rescue CD Its dedicated for this purpose and packed with a LOT of system tools (see list) for all sorts of stuff like data recovery tools, partition editors, admin tools etc etc.

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
I used to install Linux every Ubuntu update... even if I didn't install Ubuntu. Just as an excuse to mess around with it.

But in the end, that's all it was. Messing around. Always went back to Windows within a couple of weeks. Thankfully Windows 7 has me amused enough to not bother this Ubuntu increment :p. I've still got my LiveCDs at the ready though for any trouble I have with my/other's computer.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.