Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 58 Posts

·
Registered
6,980 Posts
There are a lot of ways for a person to revise, it just depends what suite you best. There are certain methods which suit a certain learning style; people learn in different ways.
For a visual learner:

-Highlighting key points in your revision guides
-Condensing the information onto a summary card/summarising notes
-Drawing pictures
-Drawing spider diagrams
-Using post-it notes and placing them in places where you'll see them frequently
-Association techniques
-Making mental movies of important facts

For an auditory learner:

-Making up mnemonics/rhymes for difficult ideas
-Getting family or friends to test you
-Taping information and then listening back to it
-Playing background music while you study
-Repeating things over and over again in your head to remember them
-Teaching someone else something you've been revising

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well how did you revise in the past?
Well thats the problem, i didn´t, i was just hoping for the best, but i have to get a good grade at my biologi exams so far i have 2 A+´s (The highest possible grade here i Denmark so i gues it´s A+?) But i REALLY suck at biology so i´m a bit nervous :(

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
- Lie in bed while studying. Study tables blow big time. Your back starts falling asleep, and your neck starts cramps after hours of studying. Bunch up a few pillows in bed so that you're 100% comfortable with your neck/head position while reading. It helps to not be physically active in any way while studying so that all your energy can be spent in learning.

- Making mnemonics to help memorize complicated terms makes it easier (as ozz said)

- If there's only a few days left till exam, quit writing stuff. Its much better to simply concentrate and read it. Though I suppose you will inevitably have to pick up a pencil for practicing diagrams.

- Do chapters in the order in which they occur in your book. Don't pick out specific ones and do them and delay the other ones. If you do, you'll be strong in some areas, but weak in others. And if, by chance, more questions come from the weak bits then you're screwed.

Yes I know my studying tactics are rather weird....but well I've been studying like this since the beginning and I've topped my class 7 out of 9 times during the past decade :D (got 2nd position in the rest).

·
Curiously Cheddar
2,077 Posts
Well how dor you guys study for your exams? I have a Biology exam and i dont know how to study! :S
Write summaries of the notes you've got.

Then summarize those.

Then hit the past papers and exercises with the first batch of summaries.

When you think you're good enough, use the shorter second batch.

Eventually, you won't need anything at all.

I only ever cared for a subject enough to do the entire procedure once, but it worked flawlessly. If time is an issue, just skip the second summarization.

·
Registered
152 Posts
i determined that my best studying times were either at night or in the mornings, so i study only in those times. i refresh and do other stuff in the afternoon, nothing school related. then i make sure i spend my time fully doing my revision when the time comes, even resort to giving the monitor cables to my mate so i won't be online!

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
Well how dor you guys study for your exams? I have a Biology exam and i dont know how to study! :S
I memorize every textbook over the course of two hours near the start of each module then I sail the rest of it and sleep in classes.

Just remember to remember and forget to remember that you remember to forget to remember.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Well I personally don't like limiting myself to a time to study...for instance I don't really like studying during the day so I usually study at night...remember you've got at least 12 hours in the day, so pick your time when you want to study, don't just start as soon as you wake up and study still say 3 in the afternoon, rather say you're going to study say 6 hours a day and then apportion breaks and study time as you want to.

I personally also always prefer listening to classical music whilst studying.

I am at a distance university so there's no real courses on campus I have to attend and so they also offer all their course material as downloadable PDFs...so sometimes I really don't want to stare at the same book I have been staring at for the entire semester so instead I will download the PDF and study from that.

I also just genereally read through notes over and over again though.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
The best time to study is during the class the subject is being taught. If you memorize and understand everything during the lectures, you have already put down 80% of the material of any class. After that, what I do is grabbing an index of the material that is going to come in a test, mentally go over them and just study what I can't perfectly remember, which usually only amounts to one or two subjects.

1 - 20 of 58 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.