Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i have recently downloaded the latest version of visualboy advance called VBALink 1.8 LAN/WiFi edition on to my new laptop with windows vista basic.
i have heard complaints from people that tried to run their vba on vista and ended up having all sorts of issues they normally wouldn't have if they ran it on xp. although this can be fixed by downloading a WinRAR power archiver and using it to install vba, you can only keep it for 40 days unless you purchase a license for it, and i don't feel like wasting money on something i probably don't need for a task like this. is there some other way i can successfully run my vba on vista without having to buy software or downgrading my laptop. i was here earlier looking at a forum that mentioned something on how you could run vba on vista by changing the VBA's configuration to where it would run without these issues. if anybody has knowledge of this, please let me know.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Tell me, are all texans this stupid?

Seriously, I need to know!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
no. i'm actually very smart. i'm autistic so it's very hard for me to ask around for help. the same applies to online forums. i'm just not the sociable type. no matter how hard i try, people take everything i do the wrong way. sorry for upsetting you and i'm not trying to garner attention through pity.

·
!
6,312 Posts
no. i'm actually very smart. i'm autistic so it's very hard for me to ask around for help. the same applies to online forums. i'm just not the sociable type. no matter how hard i try, people take everything i do the wrong way. sorry for upsetting you and i'm not trying to garner attention through pity.
don't care about what he said,he doesn't like the new comers..

anyways..from what i know..if you want to extract the files use 7zip...frankly i don't know about vba i've never used it..:D

and welcome to emuforums..

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i've already extracted it. i just need somebody to to tell me how to set the configuration of the vba to where it can run on vista without it screwing up.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Autisms a *****, technically ADHD is a form of autism so im in that gang, My social skills are better in real life then they are online, and my first take on your initial post was "Wtf is this guy on about"

Anyway, for the least setting up set VBA's save type to Automatic : 64, then dowload the VBA-Over.ini to have it automatically set the battery configurations, Real time clock, and Mirroring settings for those games that need it.

Past that, then all you need to do is setup your input controls, select a video output mode other then directdraw,.. Direct3D is the best cross system so start with that, but if you can use opengl, use it as its the better of the two.

7zip as already suggested unpacks rar files, its free. you can rezip images to save space with winzip, as vba can unpack those itself, (7zip archives only supported in vba-m)

as for latest, VBA-M SVN 781 is the latest version of vba, VBA-L is simply a modified version of VBA 1.8(not even the latest source...) which includes linking support... though shuffle2 is working on that with VBA-M as well.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
okay, i got two questions for that. where can i download vba-m svn 781? can you add gameshark and codebreaker codes? oh and sorry we got off on the wrong track. sometimes it's hard for me to explain things clearly.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
you can get it from here

http://vba-m.ngemu.com/vbam/vbacompiles/msvc2008/VisualBoyAdvance781.7z

z7ip is required to unpack 7z files.

you also need to run http://vba-m.ngemu.com/vbam/vbacompiles/msvc2008/Directx_9c_webupdater.zip as Vista only contains a base install of Directx9, and doesn't include the latest Dx9 runtime (no, it won't break Dx10)

Theres only 1 thing you need after that, which is the MSVC 2008 SP1 Runtime (also called a MSVC Redist,.. so if it mentions SDK anywhere, its the wrong one.)

getting the openal installer is optional, using the XAudio or DirectAudio audio outputs are the best im most opinion

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
I wouldn't post your email publicly unless you like spam robots. Anyway, Use 7Zip instead. It can unarchive RAR files and it's free.

7-Zip
will PeaZip work too?
You get help (as in an entirely free great program) as your first reply and you ignore it?

....although this can be fixed by downloading a WinRAR power archiver and using it to install vba, you can only keep it for 40 days unless you purchase a license for it, and i don't feel like wasting money on something i probably don't need for a task like this.
You can keep WinRAR for far longer than 40 days. All that happens after 40 days is that every time you open it a message pops up telling you to buy it which you can simply can simply cancel. You still keep full funtion and everything works exactly as before. All you have to contend with is that slightly annoying message.

Also if you get an error message when trying to save or when running VBA then there are a 2 things you can try. Make sure that the folder VBA has been extracted to is not a system folder (Program Files, Documents, Windows etc.) so for instance just create your own folder called GBAEmulation on your C: drive and extract it to there.
Secondly it may also be neccessary that you run VBA as an administrator.

z7ip is required to unpack 7z files.
WinRAR and some other archivers can also open 7z files just fine although there are indeed some, like WinZIP that can't.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
...its not as bad as what i was thinking at the time.....

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
i want to thank you guys for helping me out with this and i want to apologize for being such a hassle. as soon as i get everything in order, i'm going to see if i can start a new thread on how to use the hamachi networking system. if everything goes as planned, i should be able to have a network up and running enabling me and whoever wants to join to play games wirelessly, chat wirelessly, and contact fellow network members and invite them to play games together wirelessly. if there's anything you guys know about hamachi that i don't, let me know on the next thread.

·
Menthol Flavored
3,925 Posts
It's quite alright, and btw, welcome to the forums. Everyone was new to the scene at some point and time. Though, I may be the only exception. I was born out of the womb not being a noob. :p Anyways, I hope that you get everything up and running alright. :)

·
Registered
443 Posts
It's quite alright, and btw, welcome to the forums. Everyone was new to the scene at some point and time. Though, I may be the only exception. I was born out of the womb not being a noob. :p Anyways, I hope that you get everything up and running alright. :)
Most of us that started with 286's or DOS came from outside the womb ;)

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
guess i was spawned from a great darkness.... started with a Commodore 128 and its command line interface.... i don't think it even counts as dos...

1 - 18 of 18 Posts