Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be receiving a new hard drive tomorrow. It's a 120gb Maxtor w/ an 8mb cache. I will be using as an external drive for my laptop (I have an ide adapter). The drive is oem, so I won't receive any installation disc, instructions, etc. Will windows format the drive automatically, or will I need to run a separate program such as fdisk? Note: I want it formatted in NTFS, not FAT32.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. I didn't even think of right clicking in explorer, and I didn't know that disk management program existed.

I'll finally be able to offload all the crap I have on my laptop's hd. Hooray for DC++! W00t!

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Well, here's what I had to do when I bought my new harddrive (never been used before or formatted). No, you can't just right click and click format. Go into your control panel, to administrative options, then open "Computer Management" then once it's open, on the left side, click on disk management. Once that loads up, you can scroll down to your new harddrive, and you will have to "activate" or "initiate" it (I forget really which word it used). Once it does that, then you can format it from the same window you are already in. Have fun!

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Actually I think it's something like "create partition" in computer management (disk management). "Initialize" sounds like Mac ;)

·
Emulation Junkie
828 Posts
Well, thats how I had to do it on my computer....and that was after doing some google searching....that's what a site told me to do, and it worked, so I'm not complaining

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
KanedA said:
You can always use FDISK.EXE on a win98 boot disc ;)
I personally prefer that over Windows Diskmanagement. ;)

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hushypushy said:
oO you never right clicked on a file or drive before???
I have many times, but it just never occurred to me that I could format it that way before.

I am formatting the hd as I am typing this.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
I personaly like the pair of boot floppy disks that partition magic does for you. It has a very easy to use GUI in which you can resize, move, merge, create, delete, format, label, check for errors, etc. in a brand new HD/partitions easy and fast. Also you can resize your partitions without destroying your data ;), you should give it a try.

·
Premium Member
21,977 Posts
フェニックス said:
I personaly like the pair of boot floppy disks that partition magic does for you. It has a very easy to use GUI in which you can resize, move, merge, create, delete, format, label, check for errors, etc. in a brand new HD/partitions easy and fast. Also you can resize your partitions without destroying your data ;), you should give it a try.
well, you can also use the windows version of it, it's much more versatile, and of course has a better GUI :p

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
hushypushy said:
well, you can also use the windows version of it, it's much more versatile, and of course has a better GUI :p
matter of procedure tastes I believe, so far in this thread there's been a lot of different ways to achive the same thing ;)

yeah but how about when some one is buildin a pc do they need to reformat the HD
well it depends, if is a new HD it's most likely you'll need to format it, or if you change from unix based OS to a windows based OS or viceversa you need to format it. It's better to reformat the HD if you're going to reinstall an OS from scratch.

·
Digital Designer
354 Posts
but wait let say i don't have a pc and i just learn how to do one in school but the pc that made in school i left there becuase is slow then i decide to buy each pieces and i buy windows xp pro or game advisor how do i format the hd?

P.S: This is a good question XD

·
Administrator
8,200 Posts
sonicjam said:
but wait let say i don't have a pc and i just learn how to do one in school but the pc that made in school i left there becuase is slow then i decide to buy each pieces and i buy windows xp pro or game advisor how do i format the hd?

P.S: This is a good question XD
if its XP boot from CD and theres autility to format, parttition the disk.
else use a boot diskette (i have a WinME one i use all the time) that has fdisk and format on it :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts