Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
The way I did it I'm sure was to make 2 partitions and install win98 on the first then put the xp cd in whilst in win98 and choose new install setup and just installed it on the other partition and now when it boots up it offers me the choice of which I want to boot to..

·
Nintendo Zealot
1,425 Posts
I think u mean the upgrade choice which just overwrites your win98 setup and keeps your programs intact.
You need to run the other install option to make a dual boot.
You will find some programs will work in xp if u make a shortcut to them in xp from the win98 exe of the prog u want to run but others will refuse to work and need to be reinstalled if u need them in both os's.

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
You can install the programs to the same directories. There may be some conflicts now and then but for the most part it works, and doesn't require double the space for the programs. I use a single partition to host Windows ME and Windows 2000, using the same Program Files directory and everything works perfectly. All my IE, Office, Media Player settings are intact and independent of each OS and all the programs that I've installed on both OSes work fine. I even had an activation alert on my Windows ME partition for Office XP (changed too many hardware settings I guess) but in Windows 2000 Office worked fine. I think it's a great way to keep compatibility and doesn't cost a lot of extra space (except for the Windows installation of course).

To make dual-boot work you have to install Windows 95/98/ME first, then do a fresh install of Windows XP (either in Windows 98 or booted from CD). Windows XP setup will detect the other OS automatically and make a dual-boot setup.

·
Registered
708 Posts
WinXp is different than Win2000 in the way of 'behaving' themself in a dual/multiboot environment.

Win2K : Install 95/98/ME first then install Win2k on the same partition will make a dual boot system

WinXP : doesn't work that way anymore - WinXp force you to have their Windows directory on your other partition (eg: Win98 on C, Winxp will make its own decision on installing itself to your Drive D or E (like mine). Offcourse you can choose the installation directory on your first installation, but WinXP will remove previous OS on your Boot Record, and make itself as the absolut OS on your PC.

I guess to have dual/Multi OS with WinXp is to use different partition for each OS, or (maybe, haven't try it yet) edit the Boot.ini manually ...

[boot loader]
timeout=0
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /fastdetect <-- default WinXp boot

/////// this is where the secondary/other OS option should go ////////

·
Premium Member
6,391 Posts
You can do a dual-boot with Windows XP on the same partition as well, I've tried it on my other computer. It's just that once you install it, there's no real way to get rid of it. I tried removing the WinNT directory but at boot-up it asked for some file in the Winnt/system32 directory, so the OS is a core part of the system itself. At any rate I don't think installing Win98 on a Windows XP system will work. You have to install Win9x first, then NT. Windows 98 doesn't have any dual-boot features, although, as 404 already mentioned you can maybe try editing the boot.ini file to include it.

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Originally posted by Soylvak
But what if you already have xp and you want to install 98...will xp still detect it?
No. When you install Win98, it'll replace the NT boot record with it's own, and you won't be able to get into WinXP anymore.

If you already did this, I thikn you can fix this by booting with the WinXP CD then running a repair.

[] Badaro

·
I'm in despair!
3,443 Posts
Originally posted by 404
I guess to have dual/Multi OS with WinXp is to use different partition for each OS, or (maybe, haven't try it yet) edit the Boot.ini manually ...
You can edit the boot record to add other Windows NT/2000/XP installations, but not to add a Win9x.

IIRC, when you install XP as a second OS, it'll save the old boot record in a file, the install it's own. Without generating this file it'll be pretty difficult to add a Win9x system to its boot menu.

[]s Badaro

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I found an easy way....(that u don't need to choose everytime in that dos boot window wich windows u'll use) U can start with windows XP and run every time u want (inside windows XP) win 98 or any other one, Is very simple (but ram and space are needed).....The program wich do this thing is called Connectix Virtual PC (yep the same corporation that created VGS)....I got the trial version but the full u have to pay....(too sad) U can catch it in the connectix page....

·
Banned
7,983 Posts
Actually, I've been screwing up my XP installation all week. today was my third installation. I only have two partitions on my hard drive, so I wasn't even going to try to dual boot it (One is for permanent data storage). However, I installed 95 first (98 CD is broken), then I installed XP to a different directory. XP totally killed my 95 installation. I deleted my Windows directory with no harm done.

I think that you need 2 partitions to dual boot with XP.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.