Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have already wasted a lot of cdr cause of these buffer overun problem, how can i minimized it or avoid it.Thanks

my cdrom is acer 50x configured as master and the hp9700 is connected as slave and they are both connected to secondary channel, hp says in its help file that i should not do these configuration cause it will cause these buffer errors but i dont want to connect my cdrom to my hardisk in IDE 1 cuase it will slow down my hardisk. any help will be appreaciated.btw i enabled the dma option for both the cdrom and the writer.

·
Key To The Universe
2,712 Posts
Disabling dma may slowdown the operation, but may also avoid some errors. If both cdrom and cdr support dma, then just leave it on. The speed decrease will be huge if you disable it. When you're burning a cdr, close all other applications and leave your pc just doing it. Using other programs at the same time may cause a lot of buffer overrun errors, even if you have a fast cpu and a lot of memory. btw, the new plextor cdr has something called "BURN proof"(BURN here means Buffer Under RuN error Proof), that is said to minimize a lot buffer overrun.

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
Are you trying to copy directly from a CDrom to a CDR? You should copy the CD to your HD first and then copy it from HD to the CDR. If you're copying a PSX CD then you need to make an ISO of the game using a program like CDRwin.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I noticed that it only happens when i copy from cd to cdr but it does not when the data is from the hardisk.Thanks for the suggestion Adair but their are instances that i must copy from cd to cdr like copying disk with protection.I just tried Nero and so far i have not encounter any buffer error yet but how can i disable the simulation test of nero cause its just very slow, i tried to disable it in the options but it still do it anyway btw i use the shareware version of nero.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
What you are experiencing is a design problem with ide drives. Basically the ide controller can only communicate with one device on each cable at any specific time. Thus the cdr and the cdrom cannot be accessed at the same time. Thus whilst recording takes place the ide controller keeps switching between the drives which causes the data to be sent in bursts. If the data is sent fast enough then all is ok but in some cases you will get a buffer underrun. Here are the only workarounds I know:

1. Buy a drive with burnproof. After all this technology was invented to get around this limitation.

2. Move the cd rom to the primary channel. This would mean that when burning from hdd or cd there is a steady stream of data as they are on separate cables. However performance will suffer in cases where data is read from both the hdd and the cd at the same time.

3. Burn an iso to the hdd and use that instead.

4. Lower the cdrs speed to 1x.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Wow Betamax, i was going to reply to this post,
but you unknowingly stole all my answers:)
You're pretty hardware savvy man.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks Betamax since i dont want to transfer my cdrom to ide 1, i guess i will just buy another pci ide controller to connect my cdr. btw what brand will you recommend? Thanks

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Recommendations? Well if your going to add a controller card you might as well get a RAID one. (as I doubt you'll find an addon ide card that isn't raid:p). They retail for about $40 for ATA/100 based card.

To be honest I'd try moving the cd rom drive first though because

a) It doesn't cost anything
b) If you can't do this you shouldn't be messing with a RAID controller
C) You'll be hard pushed to see a slowdown anyway

Remember only programs that need to access DATA (not audio) at the same time will have problems. The only examples of this would be multimedia apps or games and at that most games only one or the the other (eg unreal tournament only needs the cd as a copy protection measure. Once the game is running you can remove the cd with no ill effects).

All you have to lose is time.

·
Registered
632 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
This is strange i disabled the dma option for my acer cdrom while my writer is dma enabled and these error are now gone but i will try to observe it for a couple more days, these will really help my pocket.

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
yep that is wierd alright. By slowing down access to the reader you have improved perforance:confused: The only reason I could think of is that the reader doesn't fully support UDMA.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts