Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a linksys befw11s4 version 2 wireless router. I have 2 computers which are about 20 meters away and using a wireless modem to share router and internet connection.

One concern though, since I am living in a busy downtown area where houses are attached it is easy for people next door or in the street to get into my router for internet.

I have no idea who is getting the wireless signal from my router but I have at least 5-10 people on the status list in my router configaration. My bandwidth is taking its toll and unfortunatley is slowing down my internet speeds.

I guess this is the biggest major drawback of using a wireless modem right? Is this preventable?? It is frustrating when you don't know who is stealing your internet.

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Can't you put on authentication or somthing, only allowing certain MAC addresses or something like that?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
1. WEP
2. Mac filters
3. Controlled DHCP. (Restrict the ammount if ip's handed out)
4. Disabling web based administration
5. Set your own administrator & user passwords

You manual/website/online manual should cover all of these. You will want 128bit wep for sure, unless your performance suffers you can knock it down to 64bit.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
What about WPA(WPA-PSK)? I've heard that it is much safer than WEP... Can anyone tell me if this is true?

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Kirby said:
WEP encryption is your best bet. Also changing the SSID name of your router will help too
Ah, forgot to mention that :p It is best to disable the broadcasting of your ssid, then changing to from your previous :)

·
Registered
9,504 Posts
Reichfuher said:
Ah, forgot to mention that :p It is best to disable the broadcasting of your ssid, then changing to from your previous :)
it is possible to diable SSID broadcasting, but then it will make Wireless Zero Configuration useless. You'll have to set everything up manually if you go that way

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
Kirby said:
it is possible to diable SSID broadcasting, but then it will make Wireless Zero Configuration useless. You'll have to set everything up manually if you go that way
Is that a problem?

·
Registered
822 Posts
As many members already has pointed out these suggestions help a lot for wireless security. I have the same router as you and here is what you will need to change:

1) Static IPs for all your machines and disable DHCP
2) Disable the SSID broadcast
3) Change the SSID to something else other than "linksys"
4) WEP enabled w/ 128 bit Encryption
5) Under the Advanced Section for Wireless enable MAC filter for all wireless components (do not click filter or else you will actually filter out your own MAC address :p found that out the hard way)
6) Set any port forwarding stuff if you use Torrents and other applications (This I assume you know how to do)

Those are all I can offer best of luck with the security.

·
band
4,912 Posts
cool, this thread was just wut i was looking for. im wondering tho, if the length of the word used for generating the key is important in terms of security when using WEP. mine is "doodle", btw.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Not really, just make sure after you made it make a text file and put it on a floppy with the name of the WEP you wanted to use and key it generates if not, it will be a pain to get them for each machine that uses wireless to connect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts