Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have found some open ports on my friends website. Can anyone pls tell me how to close the open ports for security purpose ofcourse.

·
Buried in the Programming
138 Posts
If the open ports are the ones being used by the server (e.g. Apache) or any other running service, you obviously can't close them.
All other ports are closed by default.

If you want to close the ports as a security measure, you should know there's (almost) nothing a hacker can do to a open port, if the application using it is legit and it doesn't have any security holes.

If you want to force a port to be closed and stealth all closed ports, you can use a firewall.

·
PReP - Lizard of Reason
870 Posts
Oh dear, really hope it isn't ports 80 and 20 his website/"server" has open!!!..
Ok, sorry don't worry about those - i just couldn't help myself :)

·
I has got Anatidaephobia
1,345 Posts
are you talking about open ports on his server?

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
yes his server ports 21,22,40,43,80 are open. Pls tell me how to close them.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Port 21 is for FTP traffic and port 80 is for HTTP traffic, I dont do any web developing but I think some of those other ones are normal web ports as well, you close em and the site or whatever it is wont work.

·
138 Posts
I think those ports are for normal HTTP traffic.
If the server is not infected with any malware, I think there's nothing to worry about.
Is the server using any kind of firewall?

Edit:
I didn't saw your previous post, sorry.
Get a firewall like COMODO to close those ports.
But if you close, for example, the port 80, no one will be able to access the website...

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
so closing that won't cause any problems wud it? Or am i lagging some knowledge xD

·
138 Posts
What firewall are you using?

EDIT: You should understand that all these ports are being used by an application, and closing them will block the application access to the internet.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts