Next Generation Emulation banner

Home Office defends plan to monitor social network conversations

774 views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  PCXL-Fan 
#1 ·
.... anything else they want to watch?

Facebook and MySpace could be required to hold data about every person users chat with for up to year
• Privacy campaigners condemn 'centralised snooping'

Comments (…)
* Digg it

* Matthew Weaver
* guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 25 March 2009 06.39 GMT

Privacy campaigners expressed alarm today over government plans to monitor all conversations on social networking sites in an attempt to crackdown on terror.

A Home Office spokesman said that the internet eavesdropping plan, which would be set out in the next few weeks, would cover any social network that allows people to chat to one another, including Facebook, MySpace, Bebo and Twitter as well as internet calls on Skype.

He said the proposal would update existing plans to store information about every telephone call, email, and internet visit made by anyone in the UK on a central database.

"We have no way of knowing whether Osama bin Laden is chatting to Abu Hamza on Facebook. Or terrorists could be having a four-way chat on Skype,"highly unlikely he said.

He said the government was not interested in the contents of the communication: "What we want to monitor is that so-and-so is logged on to that site and spoke to so-and-so. It's the who, when and where, not the content."

But he conceded that in "high-profile cases" the police would want to examine the contents of social network chatter. "The security service would want the ability to capture information that could lead to conviction," he said.

Under the new proposals, the sites that host social networks could be required to hold data about who users correspond with for up to a year.

Privacy campaigners criticised the plan, saying it would be another unwieldy, costly and unnecessary failure.

Shami Chakrabarti, director of human rights group Liberty, said: "The widescale use of social networking websites highlights the enormity of government ambitions for a centralised communications database for the surveillance of the entire population … Technological development is used as an excuse for centralised snooping of a kind that ought never to be acceptable in the oldest unbroken democracy on earth."

Michael Parker, spokesman for campaign group NO2ID, said the government was enforcing data sharing and the pillaging of private information. "Their plans for the intercept modernisation programme were completely unworkable to begin with and are becoming more so with every addition they suggest. The idea of tracking calls, texts and emails made by people in the country is unspeakably offensive."

The plans were first revealed by the Home Office minister, Vernon Coaker, last week at a Commons committee hearing on a draft EU directive that does not cover social networking.

He said the government's intercept modernisation programme proposals may be extended to include "the retention of data on Facebook, Bebo, MySpace and all other similar sites".

He added: "The government are looking at what we should do about the intercept modernisation programme because there are certain aspects of communications which are not covered by the [EU] directive."

Coaker acknowledged that the plan would raise fresh concerns about the right to privacy.

"I accept that this is an extremely difficult area. The interface between retaining data, private security and all such issues of privacy is extremely important," he said.

The Home Office spokesman said a consultation paper, to be published shortly before or after Easter, would explore the practicality of the plan.

In a statement the Home Office added: "The government has no interest in the content of people's social network sites and this is not going to be part of our upcoming consultation. We have been clear the communications revolution has been rapid in this country and the way in which we collect communications data needs to change so that law enforcement agencies can maintain their ability to tackle terrorism and gather evidence.

"To ensure that we keep up with technological advances we intend to consult widely on proposals shortly. We have been very clear that there are no plans for a database containing the content of emails, texts, conversations or social networking sites."

On Monday the Joseph Rowntree Reform Trust published a report claiming that a quarter of all the largest public-sector database projects, including the identity cards register, were fundamentally flawed and clearly breach European data protection and rights laws. Claiming to be the most comprehensive map so far of Britain's "database state", the report says that 11 of the 46 biggest schemes, including the national DNA database and the Contactpoint index of all children in England, should be given a "red light" and immediately scrapped or redesigned.
why dont they just put a camera in our homes, brave new world indeed.

#2 ·
It's extremely sick. What's next? Watching us on the toilet?

Most people don't realise what's happening. The vast majority of people are oblivious to the fact that all of their personal liberties are being taking away from them one at a time. Unfortunately, most of the damage is already done. I'm not a paranoid or irrational person, and I have a pretty normal social life and such, but I honestly think that if things continue as they are, people will wake up one day to find themselves enslaved, prisoners in their own country.

Taking Liberties

Zeitgeist, The Movie
The Zeitgeist Movement and The Venus Project

#3 ·
Sorry, but you're government starts listening to my convo's and im gunna start suing your government.

My country doesn't observe your breaches of the right for privacy.

#4 ·
Dont worry squall, America will adopt this as well, Britain is just being used as test rats for this scheme i expect.

and the bad thing is there probably already doing this due to the Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000, and just trying to increase it a little bit.

btw im so glad i dont use social networking, i already foreseen something like this happening.

#6 ·
They probably do it from a long time already and now they thought to make it official.
or someone caught them at it, i wouldn't expect them to admit something like this.

ahh well now im depressed.

#7 ·
Sorry, but you're government starts listening to my convo's and im gunna start suing your government.

My country doesn't observe your breaches of the right for privacy.
Unfortunately, this kind of injustice is not just confined to the UK...

Peter Joseph said:
Currently in the United States, unannounced to most brain washed Americans, your home can be searched without a warrant, without you being home. You can in turn be arrested, with no charges revealed to you. Detained, indefinitely, with no access to a lawyer. And legally tortured...all under the suspicion that you might be, a "terrorist".
Characteristics of a "terrorist" according to the Texan police force:

Source

#8 ·
I'm so glad australia's bikie gangs would overthrow the police force before letting **** like that happen here.

#9 ·
Unfortunately, this kind of injustice is not just confined to the UK...

Characteristics of a "terrorist" according to the Texan police force:
Great now im even more depressed.

#13 ·
LOL, you guys have never used facebook have you?

its not like that at all, all this is typical uneducated rumour and gossip. The topic of this thread is worrying though,,,

#14 ·
I thought Obama said he was for change, he was different than Bush, and what happened?

#15 · (Edited)
Moves like this are similar to tactics employed by WW2 fascist germany on the germans, where they had thousands of civilian clothed government agents and spies on trains and in churches and public areas monitoring people and listening and snooping in on everyones private conversations.

#16 ·
AMERICA = NAZI'S :O

Is America the new Nazi Germany? What does this mean for Blacks, Jews and others from colourful cultures of diversity.?

Find out on the next exciting episode of America's Got ****ed up.

#17 ·
There won't be that level of racism, but there will be that level of monitoring.

The upcoming Web 2.0 will bring more control of the flow of information and the ability to increase levels of monitoring.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.