Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ain't sure if I can post that here but here goes.

I'm supposed to go and buy a new computer (YAY! T'WAS ABOUT FREAKIN TIME) with my friend to someplace 'round here which is where he bought his but the problem is that I have to give them some money err I aint sure how it's called.... gah anyway you give them some money to do their job since they're actually building it for you but I aint sure.I think it's called a Money Depot... anyway I'm working really hard to get myself a new computer and I don't want to be screwed over you know.It's just that I don't feel it.I don't really want to give them a freakin money depot.What if they Rip me off?

What should I do? :cry:

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Study a bit, and build your own. It's not very hard, I assure you, plus, alot cheaper knowing what to buy and what not to.

:)

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Yeah research a bit an eventually you'll have knowledge enough to build it for yourself. It's not that difficult. The good thing about this is that you build it as you want, brands, specific hardware, etc. Well I wouldn't charge a friend to build his computer, there are ways to return "favors".

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
フェニックス said:
Yeah research a bit an eventually you'll have knowledge enough to build it for yourself. It's not that difficult. The good thing about this is that you build it as you want, brands, specific hardware, etc. Well I wouldn't charge a friend to build his computer, there are ways to return "favors".
ooooh I get your point :p, "favors" uh? :lol:

Yeah I should learn a bit 'bout building my own computer but I just don't know where to start.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
you're of no help you know that.I can look up google but I might even end up on an unreliable source.I'd rather dig up the information I can from here since most of you are good in computer stuff.

·
Registered
184 Posts
The best guide that i've found is at www.sharkyextreme.com They have guides based on the amount of money you have/willing to spend. I've built my last 7 systems using combinations of their guides. Not only do you get to choose what goes in, but how it comes out. My comps are way more stable than my parents Compaqs and the Dells we use at work. Right now, my parents are using my 5th system 'cause spyware raided the compaq. Has yet to crash.

www.hardocp.com has a huge forum that's great for just about anything computer related. Troubleshooting, building, security, you name it.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
now thats more like it. Thanks alot man,I appreciate it :)

Additional help could be nice too.Not about those websites but something I could count on if anything doesn't work out so well...like plan B. or something.

·
Registered
6,964 Posts
I learned how to build my computer by taking it apart. Perhaps a form of reverse engineering.:p Seriously, it's how I learned all by myself with no prior computer knowledge or internet.

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
but it doesn't seems to be that much complicated.Taking it appart is a good idea.I've been looking up the material inside it and heres what I remembered.

-Motherboard
-Cd/DVD-Rom
-Floppy Drive
-Sound Card
-Video Card
-Network
-Fan
-Wires (of course)

am I missing something?

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
you don't need wires you need cables like the IDE cable that usaily comes with the MOBO, a soundcard is not needed unless your onboard audio sucks you are also missing a casing that comes with fans and a power supply unit

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Nevermore said:
but it doesn't seems to be that much complicated.Taking it appart is a good idea.I've been looking up the material inside it and heres what I remembered.

-Motherboard
-Cd/DVD-Rom
-Floppy Drive
-Sound Card
-Video Card
-Network
-Fan
-Wires (of course)

am I missing something?
Hard drives
CPU FAN
PSU(Power Supply)
Thermal Paste

Most good motherboards like the Nforce chipsets come with integrated soundcard and Network(NIC) card so those you don't really have to worry about.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Don't forget the OS, it's the glue that holds it together. And like Player-X and fivefeet8 said, most newer boards come with audio, network and even graphics. But that's the one area you don't want to skimp on.

A floppy drive is almost useless in todays computers. You might want to consider a cdrw/dvdr instead of the cd/dvd. Prices are very close so it's worth it to spend the extra $10 for a writtable drive.

As far as help, you don't have to go far. You've got it here. There's lots of people here that know, so just ask away!

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Sorry about the lack of posts,I took my other computer appart to check it out just like Estuk said and it's more complicated than I thought.

hehe well of course I have the OS :p.As for the Floppies well..I intend to install something older than Windows XP so I might require a Bootdisk or something.I bet Newer OS doesn't require a Bootdisk anymore.

As for the Fan,power supply and stuff.Can I just buy a Computer box which has those things?

....Thermal Paste? oO

Woah,They come with Audio,netowkr and even graphics now? Damn!Any conflicts with older OS?

Thanks for the help everyone... but proger :laugh:

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Nevermore said:
As for the Fan,power supply and stuff.Can I just buy a Computer box which has those things?

....Thermal Paste? oO

Woah,They come with Audio,netowkr and even graphics now? Damn!Any conflicts with older OS?

Thanks for the help everyone... but proger :laugh:
Most computer cases should come with a PSU, but most of the PSU's they come with are pretty low quality. It's always best to know what power ratings are the PSU your getting with the case. A lot of computer problems can be attributed to low power/quality PSU's. They don't always come with CPU FANs or Case fans. You'll have to look around for those.

Thermal Paste is what is in contact with your CPU and the CPU Heatsink. You'll need it. It transfers heat from your CPU to your Heatsink. Most Retail CPU's come with a thermal pad or some thermal paste already applied.

Motherboards today that come with integrated components should have up to date drivers to work with the most recent OS's. Unless your getting a very old motherboard, I wouldn't worrry about it.

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
the "computer box" is called a casing, most come with a fan and power supply, you could also but a barebonse system which has all the hardparts of building a PC taken care of and you can just put the rest in easily
....Thermal Paste? oO
Thermal paste : http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
Usaily the CPU that comew with a heatsink would already have thermal tape under it

hehe well of course I have the OS :p.As for the Floppies well..I intend to install something older than Windows XP so I might require a Bootdisk or something.I bet Newer OS doesn't require a Bootdisk anymore.
Windows98 and WindowsME don't really need one and windowsXP don't use one at all

if you're talking about anything like windows95 and newer there is no problem as the drivers already come with the CDs

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Player-X said:
the "computer box" is called a casing, most come with a fan and power supply, you could also but a barebonse system which has all the hardparts of building a PC taken care of and you can just put the rest in easily
Thermal paste : http://www.arcticsilver.com/as5.htm
Usaily the CPU that comew with a heatsink would already have thermal tape under it

Windows98 and WindowsME don't really need one and windowsXP don't use one at all

if you're talking about anything like windows95 and newer there is no problem as the drivers already come with the CDs
Casing,got it.As for the thermal paste what is it for exactly?Preventing Overheating?As for the OS Question,I'm currently using Windows98se and I need a bootdisk to reinstall everything after a good clean format if theres an alternative it's always good to know :thumb: . So if I put in two Soundcards in one computer I won't have any driver conflicts at all?

Some people were saying that it was cheaper to build his own system but I've been looking the prices up and so peices of hardware are kinda expensive even tho I have most of the required thingies. (CD/DVDR,HD,Soundcard,Gpghx card (even tho they might be included in the new system)

·
Registered
184 Posts
True on the power supply. But if you bought a board with all the addons, you wouldn't need more than 300-350 for the power supply. So a case with a power supply would make it.

One thing I haven't noticed yet is ram.

You could look into getting one of those combo deals that's posted on www.pricewatch.com Usually includes a motherboard and cpu at a decent price. Makes matching a hell of alot easier.

*Remember, www.pricewatch is your friend!*

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Thermal grease is used to bridge the gap between the heatsink and the CPU core or heatspreader, so heat can be transferred from the CPU (or anything else with a heatsink + retension) efficiently. I use Arctic Silver 5 personally, it's about the best you can buy. :) Always use thermal grease though, never be without it, no matter how crappy the brand.

Here's a good guide: http://www.subzeropc.com/article/thermalinterface.htm

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
[offtopic]
your AV rocks cooliscool
[/offtopic]

Whew thank god you gave me that link cooliscool,I was like wtf.. a heatsink...retensomething... but now I can see images! woo! I totally understand now :p

As for the ram,I totally fergot about it.Thanks for Reminding me :).Pricewatch is your friend,got it.I can't wait 'till two weeks.I "might" have enough money to buy everything needed for the computer and hopefully I'll take a picture of it as a Souvenir of your helpful assistance.You guys Rocks! :)

1 - 20 of 28 Posts