Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sence my computer is quite a few years old now. 3 to be percise. its about time i eaither got a new one and kicked this to a full linux box. i was wondering what sort of hardware would i look into getting. im not a noob when it comes to hardware considering i went to college a couple years back for computers. but ive been out of the loop for a bit now. my needs are being able to use a drawing pad, gamining mainstream and emulators up to and including dolphin and psxc2 along with watching movies and anime on my tv from my computer so i dont damage my dvds. so what sort of hardware would you guys suggest i get?

The current setup i have is an amd athlon 64 x2 3800+ set to 2.2ghz, 1.75 gb of ram, a nvidia geforce 7600 gs with 512 megs of ram, and a creative x-fi extreme gamer.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
a budget would help :p
also what do you intend on using the machine for?

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if you read what i said you would know my needs are being able to use a drawing pad, gamining mainstream and emulators up to and including dolphin and psxc2 along with watching movies and anime on my tv from my computer so i dont damage my dvds.

as for a budget ide say around $1500-$1800

·
Level 9998
10,591 Posts
Let's see...

- There's no requirement for a system to use a drawing pad (tablet, as we usually refer to it in technical terms). Really. All you need is a software to use that tablet with. Now... that software is the one you'd need to meet requirements for, and honestly, you can't go cheap with this one, so brace yourself. However, depending on what you use the drawing pad for, arrangements can be made. I'd say... if you don't actually use the drawing pad for professional contracted artworks then... by all means, just leave your system as is. It should be enough to handle light drawing and graphics works. Again, by all means, if you don't draw to live then even MS Paint would be enough to mess around with. If you're a photographer looking for a faster way to edit photos then... your mouse would actually be much faster than a tablet.

- For mainstream gaming, just update your graphics card. Your processor will be able to hold up for at least another year or so, and the next generation ("truly" next generation) of CPUs is coming out. A complete system overhaul right now is... not a very good idea, unless you are building from scratch.

- Now emulation is quite a problem with your machine, and to be honest, emulation of GameCube (Dolphin) and PlayStation 2 (PCSX2) are not complete, thus it's advisable that you stick with your GameCube or PlayStation 2 if you want to play any game. If anything, I would advise that you use that budget to buy yourself a next-generation console with backwards compatibility so that it can handle your current game library as well as the next-generation games. Would also solve your "mainstream" gaming problem as well unless there is a game on PC you absolutely must play right now. You can find the same game on consoles now (with almost the same quality) for the most part.

- If you want to watch anime and movie on your TV from your computer then... the easiest method is to plug your TV into your computer. There are a couple of solutions for that, and either way, changing your graphics card to a maintream one currently will also give you the ability to connect your TV to your computer either via HDMI/DVI/VGA ports or via the regular component RGB connectors, or a S-Video connector. That comes as a standard for a large number of graphics card on the market currently. If what we are talking about is playing back movies at DVD quality then your computer should be more than adequate. Just look for a software that you can use to rip/re-encode your DVDs into files you can store on your computer so you can play them back later. That's painless and should not take too long given the specifications of your current system.

Aside from that, I don't see a real need to do a drastic upgrade with your system based on your needs, seriously.

Edit: If you decide to upgrade your graphics card, then I'd say about a GeForce 9600GT, or a Radeon HD 4770 is as "mainstream" as you can get. As a matter of fact, those are good enough to handle even high-end games at pretty decent settings, save a few bugged ones. For the bugged ones, again, my recommendation would be to get a next-generation console and get the game for the console instead. You don't lose much (if at all) quality in any areas... including graphics.

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
*chuckles* the socket of this motherboard is 939. as for emulation i can barely run gba games on here with out messing with the frameskipping settings while i watch said dvd or anime on my tv vi my computer. i already have it set up so i can do that vi svideo sence ive got a statard def crt 20" tv here. ill be upgrade the tv by the end of the year as it is. ive got a ps2 a xbox 360 and part of a gamecube here already. i need the wires and controllers for the gamecube for it to be working. as for the tablet its just going to be used for a hobby of drawing which i find a mouse useless for me cuase i cant feel what im drawing that way like i can with a pencil

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
38,506 Posts
What? you can barely run GBA emulators?...along with something else? Something is wrong there....my 3700+ could multitask better than that and it's a single core...

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
slowdowns occur when Antialiasing is forced.

though as of VBA-M the d3d mode is way faster then opengl D:

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
the only other computer i have that i could put linux on besides this one is an old dell optiplex gx115 and its an oldie p3 at 900 mhz intergrated intel 815 graphics and only 384 megs of ram

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
lol even tho i did go to college like 2 years ago for computers sence tech pretty much goes leaps and bounds in months 2 years and im obsolete in tech sence lol. i know some of my basics still hold of course but some of the other things not so much.

so would you guys still say i should stick with this rig or should i just wait till the new stuff comes out?

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
nows a decent time to make a build... the core 2 parts are getting pushed down in price with the release of new i7 parts,

·
Elven-Dragon Mage
3,090 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
ok so which parts should i go for then? and im going to need everything except for mabe a case sence ive got an older larger case here. but i may still wnna replace the dang thing

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
ok so which parts should i go for then? and im going to need everything except for mabe a case sence ive got an older larger case here. but i may still wnna replace the dang thing
Either the higher-level Core 2 Quads or one of the higher-level Core 2 Duos.

I haven't priced them lately but people around the forum have been commenting on their price reduction not to mention how.... unimpressive the i7 really is.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.