Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new in here.
First of all awsome work guys, I am in the scene for quite a bit and your emulator is definitely the best (and the most ambitious) thing I've seen for a long time.
I wanted to ask you (unless someone already did) whether you think a HLE emulator for PS2 is possible and if it does, what speed gain do you think can be achieved in that case. I think that UltraHLE developers did a really good job on the high level emulation, but I don't know if that can be done in PS2 case. Surely you had your reasons not to choose this path...

·
PCSX2 Archiver
193 Posts
talgoro said:
...I wanted to ask you (unless someone already did) whether you think a HLE emulator for PS2...
Talgoro, PCSX2 used to have a HLE BIOS but the dev's took it out after PCSX2 0.6. So now you have to have the real BIOS dumped from your PlayStation 2 for you to be able to do anything with the Emulator. They can answer your statement/question better than I can though. Hope this helps!

Lastly, Welcome to the Forum!!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Kazuya Mishima said:
I think he means a HLE emulator like the ultra64 emulator used for Killer Instinct: an emu designed to run an especific game instead of implementing the whole set of instructions.
Yes, exactely. I mean, I know the compatibility there is not that great but maybe it's worth it.

·
Premium Member
5,551 Posts
HLE for PS2 is 'practically' impossible. Each game uses it's own custom drivers and very per-game unique features, thus in order to HLE the PS2 you would effectively have to add each game one by one.

Though not impossible per-say it would be highly inefficant, and compatibility would take eons to achieve, that and the code is already complex enough, yet alone doing it this way which would end up very bloated and insanely messy / complex. The most you could HLE is the BIOS and that throws up a tonne of compatibility issues on it's own yet alone doing the entire system HLE.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.