Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
WoW! That looks cool!

Modding the roms looks like a bit of a pain though especially for peeps that are no good with art stuff:(

But regardless I am VERY impressed with the HD results of Alex Kidd that was shown

Would love to see sonic done like that or Wonderboy!:drool:

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
this is lame, just use a decent filter plugin with Kega fusion and you get the same effect.

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
You ain't ever gonna get it looking this good with filters!

HD Alex

Normal Alex

·
Super Moderator
13,064 Posts
Squall, its purpose is different from just filtering. People before used ot do 'game hacks' to modify sprites, maps and stuff (needing to recreate the rom at the end). The ondemand extraction process is interesting, instead of requiring full extraction of all the bitmaps in the game or hexing your way to find those you want to edit.

Agreed, people would be more likely to just use a filter on existing graphics rather than make a proper graphic pack.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
You ain't ever gonna get it looking this good with filters!

HD Alex

Normal Alex

Bull, i can make the original look better using 5x scaling.

·
Registered
642 Posts
Bull, i can make the original look better using 5x scaling.
Ohh You can't! (not the concept art but just the look)
5x scaling you just "5xScaling" (with some algorithm the pixel final get better) but when you rewrite your native tiles/sprites you can have A BETTER final image (bigger resolution, new color squeme).
The difference is huge! I'm not discussing the concept art ... you can like more the art of Sega Team than the X-Hd team!

I love this kind of project ( look Sonic 2 HD )
On the Sonic 2 HD project you can feel what I'm talkin' about!
Sonic 2 HD - They rewrite (they're still on process) every tile (sprite) but using bigger resolutions and more colors (in this case with the addition of colors I guess the natural emulators can't run)... background, characters, enimies ... everything :thumb:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ohh You can't! (not the concept art but just the look)
5x scaling you just "5xScaling" (with some algorithm the pixel final get better) but when you rewrite your native tiles/sprites you can have A BETTER final image (bigger resolution, new color squeme).
The difference is huge! I'm not discussing the concept art ... you can like more the art of Sega Team than the X-Hd team!

I love this kind of project ( look Sonic 2 HD )
On the Sonic 2 HD project you can feel what I'm talkin' about!
Sonic 2 HD - They rewrite (they're still on process) every tile (sprite) but using bigger resolutions and more colors (in this case with the addition of colors I guess the natural emulators can't run)... background, characters, enimies ... everything :thumb:

Like you, I Love this kind of Project too. I think filters are not sufficient anymore, it’s time to change the graphics to fit today’s computers big resolution.
Of course it’s easier to just apply a filter to improve graphics. But the results with tile modification are much better. What the emulator is trying to do is make the process of tile replacement as easier as possible, without the need of hacking ROMs (what does not improve resolution) or rewriting the entire game.
Here is a good example: the first image is the BIOS screen using scale 4x filter, the second is the same screen with tiles replaced.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Sonic belongs in his pixelly glory.

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
Like you, I Love this kind of Project too. I think filters are not sufficient anymore, it’s time to change the graphics to fit today’s computers big resolution.
Of course it’s easier to just apply a filter to improve graphics. But the results with tile modification are much better. What the emulator is trying to do is make the process of tile replacement as easier as possible, without the need of hacking ROMs (what does not improve resolution) or rewriting the entire game.
Here is a good example: the first image is the BIOS screen using scale 4x filter, the second is the same screen with tiles replaced.

mmm. The pics are not showing properly!

It happened with mine too!

·
Registered
1,369 Posts
Sonic belongs in his pixelly glory.
This.

The only good Sonic games that have ever existed were displayed on a 320x240 screen. Nobody complained then, and nobody complains now.

On topic: I honestly thought this thread was a fakepost when I first saw it (it had no replies and the link given was down). It does seem like an interesting project and I bet it can produce some nice results. Of course, it likely won't surpass niche interest/hobby targets.

·
PC game modder
6,947 Posts
I agree there Mako!

The idea of editing rom files is a bit scary to most!

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Nice project there gl with it :)

this is lame, just use a decent filter plugin with Kega fusion and you get the same effect.
And squall your being to hard there everyone wants to improve they favorite games/systems its a nice project (though i admit in my case i would also use the filters in Kega :lol: )

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
you don't **** with whats not broken >.< coz then you just **** it.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
:lol:

(Note: i cant really reply anything else to this, but i also cant keep myself from posting this)

1 - 20 of 34 Posts