Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
"Whoa, are you watching fight club?!?!?!"
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just created a set up. My PC is connected to a Panasonic CT-27624A via a VGA to RCA converter from Fosmon I just bought and for sound I'm using a headphone jack style cord that outs the white and red rca plug. So for they work pretty good. I'm trying to get the SNES emulator on Higan to look no different from how my actual snes on the same TV, along with other emu's of consoles I own in the future. I've gotten really close, but something is slightly off I'm having a hard time figuring out.
I want to make clear before getting into this that I don't know *everything* about resolution terms
and just in case it matters I have a GTX 560 TI, Athlon II x3 @3.20 GHz and 4GB DRR3.

In advanced settings, I set Windows 7 to 640x480 34 hertz interlaced to try to mimic N64's max 480i, plus it wouldn't let me go lower.
I've mainly been using Donkey Kong Country as a benchmark. I had both my SNES plugged in with DKC on, and Higan running on the TV to help comparing my settings with Higan, it was easy as switching channels.

The first problem I tackled was the size. In Higan (Even in stretched mode) the size was out of place because it was a little bit centered with black surroundings and therefor did not fill the whole screen like the actual hardware did. I resorted to using the converter box's buttons and menu to stretch the screen to about the exact size appearance of the console, and it does it to Windows itself too.

After I got that out of the way it looked almost no different but there were still slight differences. On the real SNES the scanlines were more out there and the small pixels fit will into the dots of the screen which both didn't appear on Higan, on Higan it appeared like a slight smeared blur. But the biggest problem was something that was either the color or brightness or both. It's kind of tough to explain so theres the pics of DKC and Demolition Man. Top pic of each game is the actual hardware and the bottom pic of each game is Higan

In person it's a lot more noticeable everywhere, but even if it's hard to see in those pictures you can see an example on DK's island head, where in the hardware you it looks like a darker gray and Higan it looks all over lighter colored, a little bit shiny and Fuzzy. In person everything else in the Higan appearance looks a lighter colored. For example, the wood signs in the map are lighter colored, while the ones in the SNES look a lot more tan like real wood.

In Demolition Man, it's the color on the building. Hardware, it's a darker (as the game overall) brown/dark reddish metal like color. But on Higan it seems gold colored.

I've messed with the screen settings in Higan but I'm not really getting that close to the actual thing. Does anyone know what it could be? The windows resolution is in 32 bit color if that helps.

About the issues beside the color...I've heard of people turning the Windows resolution to the console's native resolution to get a closer appearance. Maybe that's all it is. Is there any way I could do that in my situation? What I also heard about some of those people is that they used a card called ArcadeVGA and/or a software called Soft15khz. Do I need those in order to do this, or could I use the Nvidia control panel to create such a custom resolution and have the same exact effect? I might want an arcadeVGA card in the future if it'll work though to reduce the bit of input lag.

Any advice?

Attachments

·
"Whoa, are you watching fight club?!?!?!"
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, dkc1.png is the Hardware, dkc2 is Higan.

Sanyo279 (accidentally uploaded twice) is Hardware, Sanyo278 is Higan.

Also, about the resolution being 32 hertz, since it's interlaced does that mean it's a split of 64 hertz.

And I looked at the sticker in back of my TV and it said "120v 60HZ" does that really mean my TV doesn't around 75hz like CRT's often do?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Settings>Video Filter try playing with these settings. Disable color emulation etc. Other than that I have no idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts