Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
The last Steven Spielberg movie I saw is AI during summer and it was sooo stupid (especially the ending) IMO :( Such disappointment...
In War of the Worlds how the aliens are beaten is pathetic :lol:.

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
I hate teaser trailers ... :p

Well as long as the aliens robots look more like HL2 Striders as they did on the War of the Worlds LP I'll be happy :)

·
Registered
184 Posts
I thought The Time Machine was pretty good. Better than average acting and decent actors, made it one of my favorites.
Unless you're talking about the book-to-screen translation. Did they really change that much?

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Razor Blade said:
Well as long as the aliens robots look more like HL2 Striders as they did on the War of the Worlds LP I'll be happy :)
You'll be horrified! The alien robots are upside-down milk bucket with skinny legs (I think. You can't remember much if you rush a book report in one night :p)
By the way, is Time Machine and War of the Worlds both by H. G. Wells?

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
om3gablue said:
I thought The Time Machine was pretty good. Better than average acting and decent actors, made it one of my favorites.
Unless you're talking about the book-to-screen translation. Did they really change that much?
Well i didn't like the movie as a movie, and from what i read of the book, i didn't like it as a book to movie translation either.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
Sounds familiar. Isnt this a book or atleast an older movie? Im thinking of the ones where the aliens totally pwn the humans, and then they are forced off earth because they cant handle breathing our air. :???:

·
Premium Member
12,032 Posts
It was made int a movie in the 80's think (or sometime around there) It was made to look older though. I actually have the movie on VHS (god rest it's soul) :p But I'm too lazy to check.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Hey Reichfuher, I think you're thinking of Battlefield Earth. The one with John Travolta. That wasn't a bad one either, not a top pick though.
One of the best "aliens try to take over the world" movie I can think of is Signs. It shares similar things with War of the Worlds. 'Cept the aliens really don't get too far in the take-over because of *gasp* water.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
And they need "signs" to aid navigation :lol: (although they can make intergalactic journeys).

Here's a summary of how aliens are defeated:

Sign: WATER!
War of the Worlds: BACTERIA!
Battlefield Earth: AIR! (according to om3gablue)
Independence Day: DRUNKARD and an easy to make COMPUTER VIRUS! (dumbest defeat IMO :???: How come aliens use MS too?)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
WindHydra said:
And they need "signs" to aid navigation :lol: (although they can make intergalactic journeys).

Here's a summary of how aliens are defeated:

Sign: WATER!
War of the Worlds: BACTERIA!
Battlefield Earth: AIR! (according to om3gablue)
Independence Day: DRUNKARD and an easy to make COMPUTER VIRUS! (dumbest defeat IMO :???: How come aliens use MS too?)
Don't forget the oh-so-wonderful movie evolution, where the entire alien race is defeated by dandruf shampoo.

·
Registered
613 Posts
WindHydra said:
The last Steven Spielberg movie I saw is AI during summer and it was sooo stupid (especially the ending) IMO :( Such disappointment...
In War of the Worlds how the aliens are beaten is pathetic :lol:.
It's particularly galling in the case of AI since Stanley Kubrick supposedly developed a lot of the original storyline and Steven Spielberg basically gutted it.

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
Oh crap, somebody shoot him(Spielberg)... He isn't that great anymore, you know...

Besides that movie has a crappy idea to begin with(no offence sc-fi fans)....

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Most likely this movie will suck. H.G.Wells' books are not suitable to become movies. Hollywood has a tendency to slaughter them, because they don't contain enough action and romance :p

See what they've done to "The Time Machine" and "The Island of Dr.Moreau" (both by Wells). Both sucked big time, and had very little in common with the books that originated them...

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Well if anything it'll be better than the original 1953 film (it takes real "talent" to make a film that dire), and the cruise/spelburg combination has proved to be rather good in the past.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I agree Betamax. I mean wasn't Minority Report a collaboration between the two? It was a good movie IMO. I can see this movie being good, nothing grea but not bad. :)

·
Crasher of Castles
7,016 Posts
Boltzmann said:
Most likely this movie will suck. H.G.Wells' books are not suitable to become movies. Hollywood has a tendency to slaughter them, because they don't contain enough action and romance :p

See what they've done to "The Time Machine" and "The Island of Dr.Moreau" (both by Wells). Both sucked big time, and had very little in common with the books that originated them...
i forgot Island of Dr. Moreau was H.G. Wells too, and yea that movie was about as tolerable as the plague. Except that little monkey thing that got pwned that was with the fat boss guy. (pardon my non-specific examples its been like 5 years since i saw it :p)

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
N1ghtw0lf said:
i forgot Island of Dr. Moreau was H.G. Wells too, and yea that movie was about as tolerable as the plague. Except that little monkey thing that got pwned that was with the fat boss guy. (pardon my non-specific examples its been like 5 years since i saw it :p)
And the interesting thing is that the 'monkey-thing' is not in the book. They just made it up for the movie. And Dr. Moreau wasn't a fat white guy in the book. And there wasn't any kind of woman who fell in love with the main character (and no kind of potion to make the beast-men look like normal persons). They changed almost everything in the conversion...

1 - 20 of 21 Posts