Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
How High do you intend to overclock this thing....

It probably would be better for a Quad, because I'm tolds that quads give off quite a bit of heat.....

I got a dual and I can get to 4.8 GHZ with out water cooling...

you should ask Phil....

apparently he has water.....:thumb::thumb::thumb:

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
According to Phil if you don't go custom then it's best to go air, as the kits are barely any better than good air cooling.

Also watercooling is not for people on a budget like you.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
4,455 Posts
Water cool is useless for us normal user unless u wanna hit world record

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
world record??? aren't you referring to Liquid Nitrogen there mate... cause you ain't gonna break any world records on just water... not anymore anyway...

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
i prefer compressed carbon personally....

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
What about Liquid Helium there mate....I've been hearing a lot about that on Xtreme Systems Forums...

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Some kits aren't so bad nowadays. But buying components separately will increase your performance and maybe even save you some money.

Devin, I really suggest reading up on the subject. Just keep reading and reading. Xtreme forums (google that) has nice stickies up. They get a lot of inquiries from beginners too, so just browse some recent threads.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
You meant XtremeSystems forums I assume?

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Ummm. This is exactly why I'm telling you to read more.

Liquid nitrogen cooling is for suicide runs only. It is not a method to keep your PC cool for general use.

When people say liquid cooling, they just mean water cooling.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Just the fact that you need something that damn cold, shows just how inefficient some o f these chips are when you turn the heat up on em and force em to do AN HONEST DAYS WORK...

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
2 Ghz Dual-core is more than enough for an honest days work.

What the hell are you comparing these chips to by the way? Sci-Fi movies? I am afraid I have a newsflash for you, this is reality, we can't beam you up Scotty.

Your expectations are as unfounded and unreasonable as me saying humans should be able to fly like Superman (so without a plane, rocket, jet, jetpack etc.).

You clearly don't know the first thing about chips, circuits, eletronics, processors...sure I know very little as well but I do know more than you.

Rather than complaining that they get so hot, you should google and see if you can find out why, only once you even remotely understand why can you make complaints that it's unreasonable.

·
Professional OC'er
1,391 Posts
Rather than complaining that they get so hot, you should google and see if you can find out why, only once you even remotely understand why can you make complaints that it's unreasonable.

I know why they get so hot... it's just that you'd think since we'd been to the moon for god's sake and had probes to Mars and Pluto, that in the year 2009/2010 more than 3 GHZ would be attainable at sTOCK....without risking a major fire....

Yeah there always gonna be heat, that's just a little bit of physics there for you....I know that's oversimplifying it....but it seems now that they've reached their theoretical limit and their optimum of 2.8 so to speak that their turning tails and running home to Mommy.....and instead focusing on more cores....

You realize the implications of this???? Sure someday we could have 64 or 100 cores in one chip, but it could never be brought above 4.2 or 4.5 and all because they refused to sit down and do their homework...

They just wrote down the first answer that came to them and handed in the test paper....they never held onto the paper and figured "GEE there could be an even better answer....just around the corner......"

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.