Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I love cars and like to play GT2 ( cant afford a PS2 for GT3.. :( )
I think drifting is the fastest way around a corner , but i cant seem to get to drift " smoothly " .. or far enough , my drifts ends way too early at some corners .

would some of you post some techniques or replay saves on zipped memcards ? ( So i can steal your techniques ! :p )
Yes yes .. different cars require different techniques , but i can do better with some examples... my favourite car's a R33 , fav track's Deep Forest.

Thanks , and hope i didnt break any rules .

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
mmm...
well first of all I'm not a "GT2 master", but as far as I'm concerned, "drifting" is not the fastest way with _most_ cars.
But if you must, you can try looking at the built-in demos. If i remember correctly there are some demos with a Viper "drifting" thru many corners. Or maybe it was in GT1...

One thing to keep in mind: whenever your tires lose traction (especially those on the driving wheels), you are decelerating.

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well , it may be just GT2 , but I cant get around a corner fast enough without drifting ...... i always go out of track if i try to get around a corner without slowing down to the point where its slower than drifting .

Im all into driving these days....

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
do you have the user manual for GT2?
because I think they explain it well.

the problem with drifting is you might be traveling at a higher speed, BUT not in the direction your car is pointing. At the end of every turn, you have to start accelerating again, and the ONLY direction your car can go is the one it's pointing at.

So you might think you are going faster, but once you are out of the turn you are in the position where the car has to accel from an even lower speed.

A "perfect" drift is when your car is rotating and sliding at the same time, so that at the end of the turn, you are pointing in the correct direction, and traveling at some decent speed.

Most of the time tho, it is more loss than gain, that's why I dont recommend it.

·
Crotally Tazy
4,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yep , thats why i said my drifting doesnt last long enough because it ends too early in certain corners like the first one in deep forest .
I still manage to keep in track as you said not facing the wrong direction tho...

However , what i noticed is when drifting , never trust your speed meter :) I reached the same spot at the same time for both non drifting ( 65+ mph ) and drifting ( 50+ mph ) technique in the same cornering .

I noticed its my mistake putting the line " gt2 masters " tho ..... any way to close this thread and start a new one ?

·
Registered
900 Posts
actually the manual in gt1 has some good advice for cornering. they show the exact path to follow when cornering. i never read the gt2 manual.

id have to agree that drifting isnt the best way to go. timing corners is but it takes way too much time. thats why most people get cars with tons of hp and drift trying to make up for doing it right.

im really lazy and i usually use the automatic transmission. in gt1 to win the international licence you almost had to go manual because you can redline the gears longer.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts