Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my friend is an architect and wants to build a powerful computer for his job.

Here is what we have right now but I'm going to check each part closely.
He has a budget of 3k.

ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2 LGA2066 DDR4 M.2 USB 3.1 X299 ATX Motherboard for Intel Core X-Series Processors

Intel Core i7-7820X Processor
$574.99

Corsair Hydro Series H110i Extreme Performance Liquid CPU Cooler Cooling

MSI GTX 1080 TI 11G OC Graphic Cards
$769

Corsair HXi Series, HX850i, 850 Watt (850W), Fully Modular Power Supply, 80+ Platinum Certified
$188.39

CORSAIR DOMINATOR Platinum Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15 memory kit (CMD32GX4M2B3000C15)
$327.99

Samsung 850 EVO 1TB 2.5-Inch SATA III Internal SSD (MZ-75E1T0B/AM)
$327.99

Corsair Graphite Series 780T Full Tower PC Case - White and Corsair Air Series AF120 LED Quiet Edition High Airflow Fan Single Pack - White
$192.98

Samsung 28" 4K U28E510D Ultra HD Monitor
$320

Right now we have like 3,080 bucks total.

How do we make this build better, what parts are not worth it and we should change.
I'd like to save some bucks and add a 2 or 3 tb hdd.

Is the cooler ok for the new cpu type?
Can we get some cheaper good ram and cheaper psu?

·
Administrator
15,447 Posts
The problem with building a pc today is ram prices went skyhigh, if you don't live in new york or new jersey you could order most of those parts from https://www.bhphotovideo.com for no sales tax outside those 2 states and free expedited shipping. but lol bad timing they are closed until the 14th for Stuccos holiday since b&h is Jewish owned.

The other way is if you have a microcenter near you and get that same mobo and get $30 off the cpu

and it seems the 7800X is only 100mhz slower for base, 300mhz slower for turbo, L3 cache is 8.25MB compared to 11MB, 6 core vs 8 core and way cheaper than the 7820X

·
Registered
7,036 Posts
From what I can tell, the H110i isn't listed as supporting LGA 2066 specifically, but it seems as if any cooler supporting 2011-v3 also supports 2066. H110i does support 2011-v3, so it should be fine.

I heard some people recommend the Trident Z ram over others, it could be an alternative: https://www.amazon.com/G-SKILL-F4-3000C15D-32GTZ-TridentZ-288-Pin-Platform/dp/B0171GQHZC/ref=sr_1_3?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1507148779&sr=1-3&keywords=G.Skill+Trident+Z

Overall, it's looking good. Most parts are quite well-reviewed, the motherboard seems lower. I'm seeing good comments for the "Taichi" and Aorus Gaming 3, so those could also be alternatives. Does depend on what you want (it seems like most x299 mobos have specific drawbacks, such as the taichi not having sli support with kaby-lake x)
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157776
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813145015

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Do you know what software he uses for CAD work?

In general, if he uses Autodesk products then some of their products are typically CPU bound by single threads (Revit), so clockspeed is king. That CPU will do quite well. I'm personally waiting for the 8700k and clock it to 4.7-5.0ghz

As for the GPU, it's amazing for gaming but I'm not so sure how well it will perform for some complex models. At the driver level there are apps that take advantage of the drivers built specifically for workstation cards, some programs like Autocad don't recognise and take advantage of gaming GPU's. As a result older kepler workstation cards can at times keep up with modern 1080's. But it really depends on the software environment. A Quadro P4000 is in the similar ballpark for price.

Very solid rig overall my dude.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
Personally I'd reduce down to a Ryzen in order to get a 40" 4k monitor, you'll never go back from a real size screen

·
Pilgrim
9,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@Yeloazndevil Yeah I noticed RAM prices are really high.

The 7800x is way cheaper but he thinks and I kinda too that he could benefit from more cores.
Is the benefit really small from 6 to 8 cores??

Also @snickothemule I thought Autocad and those programs could benefit from the 11GB of ram from the 1080 ti.

@Thanakil That ram is actually a bit more expensive than the corsair, so I will stick with the former.

Again guys is there some benefit or are the parts a bit overkill for what he needs?

If we could save some money while still having great performance, I'm up for it.

He doesn't need an SLI mobo.

·
7,828 Posts
In general usage the 1080ti will do very well, it really depends on certain circumstances of his usage that could potentially warrant a workstation card.

Very large complex models with a lot of geometry where accuracy is key would be better suited to workstation cards.

The system you've put together is a killer rig which doesn't seem overkill for what he'll be doing. Depending on his filing system the 1tb ssd might be a bit big (I've got 256 in the workstations here and they're not full after 5 years) as we have all our drawing files on a server. You might be able to scale that down for a tiny bit, but scale wise the system is all fitting well.

·
Administrator
15,447 Posts
@Silenus hard to tell if we don't know what software he will be using

the problem is the cpu and the gpu takes up most of the budget, we could probably decide on the best parts if we had more information

man the quadro p4000 can get expensive depending who sells it some are the price of a 1080 ti, others exceed that price

and the M4000 isn't any cheaper, only other alternative to look at is the amd firepro

·
7,828 Posts
@Silenus the other option is going with the 8700k if you want a potentially cheaper system, you are getting higher frequencies out of the CPU which will be beneficial for his workloads, 6 cores instead of 8, with utilisation being better thanks to higher clocks.

Basically the changes I would suggest for potential savings:

i7-8700k (going live very soon, sold out at newegg)
Asus mini or micro (effectively pay less for parts you won't use on a full mobo)

Samsung 960 512gb nvme SSD
$234

Evga Supernova Platinum 850
$140 (10 year warranty!)

Highly optional and not necessarily recommended. Only if he has apps that have certified requirements for workstation cards.

AMD WX7100 8gb
$599

AMD WX5100 8gb$336
----------

I've got a 1080ti and work has a one of the WX cards, I really should do some comparisons in some workloads at some time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts