Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
i'm having a slight problem. My computer takes about 2-3 min. to boot. I am just looking for some common things that may be causing this. (yes, i have 'Quick Power On Self Test' enabled in my BIOS and all drivers are current) here are the specs:
Code:
MoBo_model = Biostar M7MKE
BIOS_Version=Award Modular BIOS v6.00PG
CPU_manufacture_model=AMD Athlon 750MHz
RAM3=SDRAM
  Chip_brand=PNY
  size=128
  speed=PC100
VGA_card=3dfx Voodoo 5 5500 AGP
PCI slots
  Sound_card=Creative SoundBlaster Live
  Modem=Creative ModemBlaster 56k 
Power_Supply=Deer
  Power_Supply_Value=300w ATX
HDD=Western Digital 20GB
HDD1=HDD_IDE
CD_DVD_ROM=Acer 6x4x32 ATAPI CDR/RW
CD_DVD_ROM1=IDE
Operation_system=WIN_98SE
Other_peripherals=HammerheadFX in SBLive! gameport
                          onbard USB1=webcam
                          USB2=Lexmark z42 printer
                          Parallel Port=zip drive(scanner through Zip drive)
Any help would be greatly appreciated :)
(sorry, i should have posted this under off-topic discussions)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, it sorta depends on where the delay is happening.

If it's before the memory is counted, it's probably a BIOS problem. try getting the latest version of the BIOS.

If it's while it's searching for the hard drives, make sure that the hard drives are defined in the BIOS settings. Some systems, if they're not defined, will do a search for the settings at each boot, and this sometimes takes awhile.

If it's between this point and when you first see the Windows splash screen, I'm not really sure what would cause it. The only thing I can think of is if you have the boot menu turned on. This is the menu that lets you select DOS mode, Safe Mode, etc. Normally it only appears if you press F8 or F5, but it is possible to have it always appear. However, since you have to explicitly set that, I'm assuming it's not your problem.

If it happens from the time the splash screen first appears until Windows actually starts... Unfortunately, this is caused because of all the crap that Windows loads at startup, and I have no clue how to change this. I do know that after awhile of installing & uninstalling stuff, Windows takes longer to get through this. The only way I know of to clean that up is to format, and re-install the OS (Or install it to a new folder, and delete the old one).

If it happens after Windows actually starts, but is taking forever to accept input, it's because you have too much stuff loading at Windows startup. The easiest way to fix this is to run MSCONFIG, click on the Startup tab, and then uncheck anything that you don't need to run at startup.

I hope this helps. If not, maybe you can let us know where exactly the delays are happening, and we'll help you track down what's causing it.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
If it happens from the time the splash screen first appears until Windows actually starts... Unfortunately, this is caused because of all the crap that Windows loads at startup, and I have no clue how to change this. I do know that after awhile of installing & uninstalling stuff, Windows takes longer to get through this. The only way I know of to clean that up is to format, and re-install the OS (Or install it to a new folder, and delete the old one).
Well, this is where the problem lies. If I throw in my windows98SE cd, i'll be able to specify a new folder to install the OS?

thanks for your help:)

·
Registered
199 Posts
Well, that actually depends on if you have an upgrade version of Win98SE or full version. I believe that the upgrade version will allow you to do this, but the full version will not (The only full version I've ever used was an OEM version, so it's possible a retail full version will allow this as well). Also, you might want to wait another day or so, and see if anyone else has any ideas that might help. This is a fairly big step, because it will require you to re-install anything that uses the Registry (Which is pretty much all Windows programs), so it might be worth waiting a little longer to see if anyone knows of an easier way.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Ok.. U have 2 choices... Clean windows 98 out
Or delete everything (format n' reinstall)
Those are ur only choices.
I hate windows.
It's sooooooooooooooo slow and it thinks its smarter than me.
Oh well.. we have to live with it....

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hrm, sounds like unknown4x is agreeing with me, although a little vehemently towards Windows. ;) And, while I've always hated the little things about Windows that are a pain in the ass, I have to say that I really love Win2k... Of course, that could just be from coming from WinME, ANYTHING would be awesome. :p

S

·
0 Posts
try turning of USB in the bios or unplug USB devices...see if that works (probably not, but you could try it)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
I have to agree with LanGaidin. Win 2k is far better than any of the Win 9x versions. Apart from thel where's all the drivers problem at the start it has been the most relible setup I've had in a LOOOOOOOOONG time

1 - 12 of 12 Posts