Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi guys! Long time no ...er... see?

Anway, I've been trying to play Hitman Contracts, but it suddenly blanks out my screen, locking up my PC in the training mode. The monitor looks like it lost power or connection since the light on the button goes from green to orange. It almost always happens when I reload or pick up ammo in the red thingy in the training room (never bothered fully playing it yet, trying to nail the problem)

I've fiddled with the settings and the BIOS to no avail. Could this be a driver problem? (currently 61.76 I think. I'm a n00b with vid cards) I don't have enough time to download it due various reasons. Or *perish forbid* a hardware incompatibility thing?

Hoping for a favorable response.

Thanks guys.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Well that thing with the monitor sounds familiar to me. It happened to me when I put the resolution up too high IIRC. Perhaps you should try to run it in a lower res?
It might sound like a simple thing, but perhaps it will help :)

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Yes, I agree with cid. You might have eithier your resolution too high or your refresh set wrong, this could cause the video card to lose connection with the monitor. As well your drivers may be crrupt so try reinstalling or getting newest ones. I also suggest to reinstall directx 9.c because i once had a similiar problem and it was a corrupted directx dll that needed to be fixed.

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
No, I have a feeling this could have something to do with drivers or refresh rates....usually, when you go above the maximum resolution, you see something but the display is all messed up.

Check and download latest drivers, and use a util called ReForce...best solution for any video cards and their problem with refresh rates in windows XP....good luck, dude. ;)

r2rX :D

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I tried putting the res to 640 and reduced the quality (the ones in the 1st page of the graphics options.) It worked OK. I jacked up the ones on the 2nd, which dealt more with specific card technologies, and it still went fine.

Maybe the card can't handle the strain? When the screen balnks out, It locks up the PC too. Aargh...

Anyway, the resolution was a good tip, Cid. I'll check out the refresh thing too when I have the time. Work keeping me busy...

Thanks a lot guys. I miss this place already. :)

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I give up. Despite the best efforts, it only appears to take longer before dying...

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
Try reverting to an older driver version, I personally wouldn't use the 61.76 ForceWare's with a geForce 2. Here's what I would recommend:

1. Download some older drivers, such as the 30.82 Detonators.
2. Use DriverCleaner to completely get rid of the current drivers (instructions are in the readme).
3. Install the older drivers after using DriverCleaner.

Hopefully that will help you with your problem :). Also, try cleaning your video card's heatsink and fan if they are dirty.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Had the card replaced. Problem solved. :) Lousy PC shop.... Anyway, thanks for the driver link and tool. Will come in handy I'm sure.

Thanks guys!

·
InnarX
2,756 Posts
1 - 10 of 10 Posts