Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone help with Final Fantasy 7 pc crash? I'm on disc 2 at Gaea's Cliff. Cloud climbs up and the movie scene begins then it freezes but the music continues. Can't do anything. I have the latest patch 1.4 If anyone wants the save file I can send that to you as well and if you can get me to the next save point that would be great.

Thanks

·
Registered
26 Posts
The 1.4 patch is indeed a piece of garbage. Delete your ff7.exe and install the 1.2 patch version. Then, head to the Game Tweaking forums of qhimm.com and download any of the various patches. To just get the game working, download the Chocobo patch. If you're interested in very awesome mods/tweaks and such, you'll love the rest of the material there.

Also, the glitch you are experiencing could be caused by a video card error, a WinXP error, problem with the disc, problem with the movie file (most likely), etc. etc.

There are people on the website that are willing to help you out, too. Offer up your save file and a guy there will do it for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
FF7 pc crash windows 7

Hi,
I'm having this exact same problem when the game crashes a few seconds into the fmv at the top of the cliff. the picture freezes but the music carries on and i have to reboot my pc. i have tried the official 1.02 patch as well as the chocobo patch. can anyone offer any assistance? Im using Windows 7 home premium sp1.
Many thanks

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
That's one huge thread bump.

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,089 Posts
Try running the game in Compatibility mode - Win98.

·
Hopeless Optimist
3,089 Posts
I had a crash I could fix with Compatibility Mode as late as the submarine minigame.
On topic, try this.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
if only it was FF7 on PSX :rolleyes:
Why do you say that? We all know that the PC version is vastly superior in terms of graphics/smoothness (since it uses Z-buffering), but that version is lacking in the audio department (unless you use the PSF music hack).

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
^Actually FF7 PC fails over the PS one version in pretty much every aspect (not sure about graphics but even if it is some difference it ain't big), unlike FF8 it was a very poor port (if i remember well it wasn't even bening handled by Square but by another firm), the only advantage the PC version has over the PS1 version is modding, but i'll rather hit up ePSXe rather then getting mixed up in that.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
^Actually FF7 PC fails over the PS one version in pretty much every aspect (not sure about graphics but even if it is some difference it ain't big), unlike FF8 it was a very poor port (if i remember well it wasn't even bening handled by Square but by another firm), the only advantage the PC version has over the PS1 version is modding, but i'll rather hit up ePSXe rather then getting mixed up in that.
There's modding but the graphics are as good as ePSXe filtering goes, but the major advantage is Z-buffering (the battle animations are smoother on the PC version). The only beef I have with the PSX version (and all 3D PSX games) is that infamous jittering/Parkinson's Disease-like shaking in polygons. But it is a real PITA to get working in anything newer than Windows 98.

Eidos interactive were the ones that ported it to the PC, I think they also ported Final Fantasy VIII; but one thing's for sure, both ports had horrendously emulated music. Thank goodness there are mods that let you use the original PSF files.

·
Fluffy Animal Admirer
3,398 Posts
^Not to mention that the PC version suffers from many technical problems that the PS1 doesn't, plus that they messed up with some stages (like in the theme park).
Oh yes, like how the framerate makes it impossible to control during the motorcycle minigame (especially on PCs that have faster CPUs).

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.