Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
That's to b e expected with normal temps around 50-53.

Normally your max load temp is around 15 degrees hotter than your idle on anyone's machine. My diagnosis, you're either overclocked or your cooler isn't up to smack. Turn down your CPU voltage or bump your FSB down a bit.

·
Registered Anime Hater
8,674 Posts
69 is slightly on the higher side IMO. Keeping it below 65 would be better. Try to get a new CPU cooler or something

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Ambient temperature and poor air ventilation inside the case can greatly affect the cpu temperature. Replace the stock cpu cooler and good thermal paste can make a difference if everything is done accordingly.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Logically, I still don't know if he has a stock cooler or not. He didn't say he did or didn't. It would be logical to think that he does with temps that high.

*gets a better look at his picture

Hm... his core is normally 2.33ghz. Something is deceitfully wrong. What kind of case are you using? Do you have side-fans or a front intake fan? You need to get cold air in you case one way or another.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
I wish CoreTemp would explain this upon execution of the program because so many people get confused. (ie. most of the people in this thread)

Tjunction threshold for Core 2 CPUs is 95C.
You'd want to get nervous around 80-85C.....but worst case scenario it will just throttle.
Coretemp measures Tjunction. Not Tcase. It's the Tcase temp you don't want to see around 70C, but as it's measuring Tjunction your temp is absolutely fine.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
You CPU will probably lock up when it starts reading in the high 60's in CoreTemp and Intel TAT.

And I think the OP meant 60-63, not 69-63 so he's in the safe zone.

·
Registered
7,340 Posts
You CPU will probably lock up when it starts reading in the high 60's in CoreTemp
No it won't. 60's is still a safe Tjunction temperature for a Core 2. I ran my 6850 at 72 for the longest time and wasn't concerned in the least.

Again, Tjunction threshold for Core 2s is 95C....and even then it will just throttle.

There are 2 thermal diodes in the Core 2. The one everyone everyone is used to seeing and the one you don't want above 70 is Tcase. This is the temperature just outside the cpu die, but inside the heatplate. This ISN'T what CoreTemp Measures.

CoreTemp measures Tjunction. This is the actual temperature of the inside of the core and is good up to 90-95 before it will throttle.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Hmmm, that's funny. When I was overclocking my E6600 and Q6600, every time it starts creeping up to the high 60's to 70's, the computer locks up. I'm just speaking from experience here :p

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Possibly. I know my quad isn't the famed G0 stepping, so that could be the reason. I'll be doing some more overclocking tweaking during the holidays. I've got a brand spanking new case. My watercooling stuff has been sitting idle for a year now and I think it's high time I actually use them :lol:

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
No it won't. 60's is still a safe Tjunction temperature for a Core 2. I ran my 6850 at 72 for the longest time and wasn't concerned in the least.

Again, Tjunction threshold for Core 2s is 95C....and even then it will just throttle.

There are 2 thermal diodes in the Core 2. The one everyone everyone is used to seeing and the one you don't want above 70 is Tcase. This is the temperature just outside the cpu die, but inside the heatplate. This ISN'T what CoreTemp Measures.

CoreTemp measures Tjunction. This is the actual temperature of the inside of the core and is good up to 90-95 before it will throttle.
So err...know of a program which can keep track of both?

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
Tom's Hardware had a guide for core2's. It was a conroe guide mind you. And under 70 was still within the safe zone for tjunction. I had my e6600 overclocked and it would withstand stress test programs and pcsx2 indefinately with a 69 celcius tjunction reading.

The temp tolerance for penryns is a bit different. Probably a bit lower.

So err...know of a program which can keep track of both?
Coretemp and Speedfan are two of a number that measure both. Or at least last i remmeber coretemp did both, i know speedfan does both though.

Possibly. I know my quad isn't the famed G0 stepping, so that could be the reason. I'll be doing some more overclocking tweaking during the holidays. I've got a brand spanking new case. My watercooling stuff has been sitting idle for a year now and I think it's high time I actually use them :lol:
I was reading somewhere sometime in late 2007 or early 2008 (before they discontinued the conroe) intel tweaked their manufacturing process increasing the number of useable processors per batch, but the side effect is they have decreased overclockablility.

·
Hackin 'n Slashin
28,630 Posts
Coretemp does as well? it only shows me one temp though...

·
Heroes Might& Magic Champ
4,713 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts