Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm new to playing with emulators and within the past few weeks i have goten two diferent ps1's a superniteno to work purfictly and have only been having torble on pcsx2. I got to run games but they stay at about 6fps and have tried all sorts of speed hack graphics plugins and even sound plugins.
I would like it if some one could help me:(

pentium 4 3.06GHz
1Gb ram no vidio card
new computer

·
Registered
52 Posts
=P you can stick some phase change cooling and or LN2 on that p4 and push it up to 5 ghz, (i've seen it done). And it still will not help you play these games at a normal speed.

I am sorry to say that Dax and Aretak are correct. You will need a dual core at 2.4ghz~ to play even the games pcsx2 will emulate perfectly.

AMD will push emulation just as well as Intel if you know what you're doing, and this is an OLD OLD OLD debate, so i'll keep my opinions to myself.

However- AMD or Intel whichever route you decide to go, a dual core processor is a must (dont go quad core unless its I7 or phenom 2, because its a waste of money at this point. the I7 and Phenom 2 architecture is new and much more capable of handling intensive applications than the older C2d/q and Phenom/Athlon x2 chips)

Anything 2.5ghz+ will overclock to 3ghz with decent cooling. (actually anything 2.5ghz+ that isnt a complete turd will overclock to 3.4ghz or more, you just have to know what you're doing.)

If you need some upgrade advice send me a private message by clicking on my name.
I dont want to start a AMD VS Intel war because we all know Cyrix won that battle long long ago >.>

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i will take what you have said twords my next computer.
i got this compter as a bday gift from my parents, so i cant argue with what i have since i'm only 16 years old.i just wish i had the money to get the best that the world has to offer

would maxing my to 4Gb and getting a powerful grafic card work to speed up at lest 30-50 fps. what grafix card should i use, i have regular pci exspantion.

·
troubleshooter
8,978 Posts
Graphics card would only help you to gain speed in PC games but not pcsx2. Pcsx2 requires a fast running dual core cpu.

If you have a pci-e slot then go for a Geforce9 series card but get a chipset above 9500GT like 9600GT or 9800GT whatever your budget supports.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
You might get between ~10FPS and ~25FPS* with that CPU with a GPU not holding it back, though your's obviously is (note that almost all standard PCs have a GPU, whether it's on an add on video card, or built into the motherboard, which is often way weaker and known as onboard video).

Unfortunately, that PC won't do for Playstation 2 emulation (all of the equations needs upped), but if you add a video card, it'll help you for PC games (outside the really new ones) and the emulators you already have (ePSXe likes decent video cards). If it's just regular PCI, and not PCI Express, though, it may be best to forgo the idea. The price to performance ratio for those older bus type cards is ridiculous, though I suppose even a cheap $50 card would be way better than your current onboard.

*This estimate may wildly vary depending on the game and configuration of plug-ins and your system, but overall, it'll go faster than 6FPS, but still hardly reach full speed outside a few light and/or 2D games. My old Pentium 4 2.8GHz with 1GB of RAM and a GeForce 6800GS AGP got about that many FPS in Final Fantasy X.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
is there a gs plugin i could use that uses less effort to run as fast as it can
the only thing that is fast is the gsdx9null and all there is is sound is there a way that i can get the video to work on this plugin and if not can yoy redirect me to a fast one that workls fully

·
Registered
52 Posts
the reason its 'null' is because it doesnt render any video.
You are not going to be able to run 3d games at full speed, regardless of how many plugins settings you fool with.
It is your CPU and Video card holding you back. Your best bet is to try looking for some 2d games or try playstation 1 emulation.

·
Join the Dark Side!!
266 Posts
Hi.

You should forget the idea of playing PCSX2 with your current system.

If the PC is new the socket of the mobo must be LGA775, so try to save and buy a C2D, if your PC is a braded one its almost sure that it'll not have any OC options so it'll be better to buy the highest model you can achieve like E8400/8500 or the e7400 IN THE CASE that your board support 45nm processors, if not aim at the e4xxx and e6xxx series.

About the VGA card ONLY PCI-E interface, AGP and normal PCI are SH$T these days, if your board doesn't have PCI-E slot then It's better to enjoy your system with another things 'till you buy a new one, if it have PCI-E slot then a 8600GT and up will be sufficient to emulate PCSX2 decently.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.