Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to install a 500 gig ide hard drive on my pc,heres the thing I dont have another hard drive and I am trying to make this drive the boot drive but I cannot get windows xp to recognize the whole 500 gigs I realize u need to install windows xp sp2 in order for it to do so,but will it recognize the rest of the drive after I already partitioned the drive to 131 gigs and installed windows xp on it?

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
If you've already partitioned your drive, you can create another partition through Computer Management.

Go to Administrative Tools > Computer Management -or- right-click My Computer and select "Manage".

Under Storage go to Disk Management.

Right-click the 131GB partition and select "Extend Partition".

You *should* be able to use the remaining HDD space by doing this. If not, take a screenshot of what you see. (I haven't used this feature in XP in a good little while now.) ><

This is what I see on my system:
View attachment 203288

I have my 500GB laptop HDD split into 2 separate partitions so I can reformat my C: drive as necessary while not losing my backup data and drivers on my D: drive.;)

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If you've already partitioned your drive, you can create another partition through Computer Management.

Go to Administrative Tools > Computer Management -or- right-click My Computer and select "Manage".

Under Storage go to Disk Management.

Right-click the 131GB partition and select "Extend Partition".

You *should* be able to use the remaining HDD space by doing this. If not, take a screenshot of what you see. (I haven't used this feature in XP in a good little while now.) ><

This is what I see on my system:
View attachment 203288

I have my 500GB laptop HDD split into 2 separate partitions so I can reformat my C: drive as necessary while not losing my backup data and drivers on my D: drive.;)

ok cool thanx ill try that and see what happens.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
SP2 comes with the windows

Its SP3 you need to download and install
SP2 doesn't necessarily come with Windows. If you have an old version of XP, you may only have SP1 or no service packs at all. :/

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.