Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all:
It has been several months since the last release of NeonDS, nice to see the forum is still here :)
Recently I have spend some time working on develop the emulator, the good news is that I completely rewritten the 3D rendering pipeline using OpenGL Shader Language (GLSL) and the result is very well, most 3D games have better lighting calculating and texture blending results. The downside of using shader to implement 3D rendering is that different graphic card may yield different results, or even do not run at all. Currently I'm using a NVIDIA 8800 graphic card and on my system the emulator runs smoothly, super mario 64 runs at 90-100 fps, castlevania portrait of ruins runs at 60-70 fps, and so on. Before I publish the next version of the emulator, I'd like to ask for people to help me try out the emulator WIP version and let me know how it is working on their systems. So, if you are interested in help me, please send a private message to me and I'll send you a copy of the WIP version. After trying it please let me know (post in this thread is ok) your system configuration (CPU/memory/graphic card) and your test result. And also, as the test program is still a WIP version, so please do not redistribute it. Thanks!

Oh, forgot to mention in the last post, to run the GLSL, you need at least an OpenGL 2.0 compatible graphic card.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Welcome back! :)

Okay, where can I post the information ? Your site or here ? I am afraid that here might trigger n00b people to ask for your WIP, you know ?

I do have OpenGL 2.0 and OpenGL 3.0, I think.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
orz: If you don't have a separate path for fixed pipeline, make clear that it won't run on anything lower than a Geforce FX 5600 or a ATI Radeon 9500, which are the lowest cards supporting GLSL.

(...)I do have OpenGL 2.0 and OpenGL 3.0, I think.
openGL 3.0 specification isn't even out, so I'm pretty sure you don't support it. Else, go tell the Khronos Group, they'll be happy to know :p

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Yeah, my mistake. Mine is now OpenGl 2.0, lol. Sorry about that. :p

Edit: Orz, thanks for pming me. Gone to test it now. ;)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
shashClp:
Thank you for the clarification. Yes you are right, in this version the fixed pipeline support was dropped and I dont want to develope or maintain fixed pipeline rendering any longer.

chrono archangle and rockman forte:
Thank you for your help.

For people get the wip version, here are some games I tested when I was developing the emulator, so you maybe also interested to try them:
the two castlevania games
super mario 64 and new super mario bros
mario kart ds
viewtiful joe double trouble
final fantasy 3, final fantasy xii revenant wings, final fantasy crystal chronicles
rockman zx, rockman zx advent
pokemon diamond is NOT PLAYABLE due to wifi is not emulated.
dragon quest monsters joker

finally, still NO SOUND.

Yeah, my mistake. Mine is now OpenGl 2.0, lol. Sorry about that. :p

Edit: Orz, thanks for pming me. Gone to test it now. ;)
If you are using the 8800 card from your sig and installed the lastest NVIDIA driver, you should have OpenGL 2.1 :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
shashClp:
Thank you for the clarification. Yes you are right, in this version the fixed pipeline support was dropped and I dont want to develope or maintain fixed pipeline rendering any longer.
I understand, maintaining several render paths is painful :p Btw, I made a little mistake on minimum card requirements (I'm a bit asleep), the minimum Geforce card is a GF FX 5200, not a 5600, obviously :p

·
-
113 Posts
If needed, I could test it on my aging Athlon64 2,0 GHz / Geforce 6600GT. But there are not too many games here...

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
Castlevania Dawn of Sorrow:

Everything is fine and the speed is fast, wow!!! Good job but I decide to press start button to see the menu and I got this:

And also everything is fine until you meet a girl then return and you got messed up graphic:

Then going to magic seal and got black screen:

Megaman ZX:

Everything is fine expect this video flash and glitch:

I will test more then send you through pm as you requested. :)

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

Everything is fine and the speed is fast, wow!!! Good job but I decide to press start button to see the menu and I got this:

And also everything is fine until you meet a girl then return and you got messed up graphic:

Then going to magic seal and got black screen:

I have the same problem here if you skip the dialog when you first met the girl. If you keep patient and go through the dialog, everything should be fine. I did play through the magic seal and killed the first boss. I have no problem with the start button menu, maybe it is the same cause as I mentioned above?

Thank you, rockmanforte!

Update: I just tried again on castlevania DoS. It looks like the problem comes out somehow randomly, just press start to terminate the dialog somewhere in the middle and you'll get a good game afterwards. Good lock~~ :)

·
Registered
363 Posts
I understand, maintaining several render paths is painful :p Btw, I made a little mistake on minimum card requirements (I'm a bit asleep), the minimum Geforce card is a GF FX 5200, not a 5600, obviously :p
now this makes me wonder if this will work on integrated graphic card such as intel GMA 950 or X3100 on most laptop

i could help test it on my laptop, i use a core 2 duo laptop with gma 950 integrated graphic

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
I have the same problem here if you skip the dialog when you first met the girl. If you keep patient and go through the dialog, everything should be fine. I did play through the magic seal and killed the first boss. I have no problem with the start button menu, maybe it is the same cause as I mentioned above?

Thank you, rockmanforte!

Update: I just tried again on castlevania DoS. It looks like the problem comes out somehow randomly, just press start to terminate the dialog somewhere in the middle and you'll get a good game afterwards. Good lock~~ :)
Yes, you are right. Everything is good afterwards. I pm you for my more test games which you asked for PM only. Your emulator look good and much better than 0.1.1 version. Good job. By the way, check your pm as you requested. :) :)

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
too bad :|
i hope orz would also develop maybe D3D rendering engine too (i'm wuite sure this would work, right)
thankz for the info
Nope again, GMA 950 is a bad DirectX7 class card, not even supporting hardware TnL, so any emulator using a shader based rendering system won't work there. Some games work there because game developers care to have an audience as wide as possible, and usually code several render paths, for example, one with Pixel Shaders 1, one with Pixel Shaders 2, one without Pixel Shaders: that's not usual on hobby coding, because it's pain in the a**, and because it takes a huge amount of work.

·
Registered
147 Posts
yes, no pixel shader please. as long as the 3d is nicely done, fps is above 50 is all that is needed.
anyway to the author and teams of neonds. thanks for all the hardwork. keep it up.

·
Registered
5,309 Posts
yes, no pixel shader please. as long as the 3d is nicely done, fps is above 50 is all that is needed.
anyway to the author and teams of neonds. thanks for all the hardwork. keep it up.
Yes, the fps is above 50 so far to me.. It is not up to you to decide about pixel shader. That's his decision, ok ? If you don't like pixel shader then make your own ds emulator instead, thanks. :)

No, there is no teams of neonDS. Just Orz himself is an author working on this project. He is great guy!!!! :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi all:
It has been several months since the last release of NeonDS, nice to see the forum is still here :)
Recently I have spend some time working on develop the emulator, the good news is that I completely rewritten the 3D rendering pipeline using OpenGL Shader Language (GLSL) and the result is very well, most 3D games have better lighting calculating and texture blending results. The downside of using shader to implement 3D rendering is that different graphic card may yield different results, or even do not run at all. Currently I'm using a NVIDIA 8800 graphic card and on my system the emulator runs smoothly, super mario 64 runs at 90-100 fps, castlevania portrait of ruins runs at 60-70 fps, and so on. Before I publish the next version of the emulator, I'd like to ask for people to help me try out the emulator WIP version and let me know how it is working on their systems. So, if you are interested in help me, please send a private message to me and I'll send you a copy of the WIP version. After trying it please let me know (post in this thread is ok) your system configuration (CPU/memory/graphic card) and your test result. And also, as the test program is still a WIP version, so please do not redistribute it. Thanks!

Oh, forgot to mention in the last post, to run the GLSL, you need at least an OpenGL 2.0 compatible graphic card.

Oops, I just PM'd him about the NeonDS WIP. Is that acceptable, too?

·
Drowning in a red state.
9,082 Posts
IS this playable on a geforce 6150le? 0_0 I googled it and got some weird statistics :rolleyes:
EDIT: From what my eyes can gather from google. I'm guessing, no. XD ITsays it supportd shader model 3.0 but gah wheres Sash when you need him? :D

1 - 20 of 90 Posts