Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow, I just got this account yesterday to read around but I didn't think I'd be using it much to post, at least not this soon. o_O

My idiot boyfriend threw my laptop a few weeks ago and the DVD-ROM tray came open (it was loose anyhow), hit the floor, and cracked into a lot of pieces. I managed to close what remained of the door so there's not a gaping hole in my Vaio, but it's borked as far as operation. The laptop also doesn't have internet connection most of the time, so I have to snag any needed dll files, plugins, etc. from the internet while I'm at work, which is why I'm posting this before being able to test it fully, because there's a 3-day weekend coming up and any files I need, I'll have to get today.

Basically, I've read that to use SSF without a drive, I'll have to mount isos with a 3rd party program of some sort because it doesn't support images, but here's the main problem: SSF thinks my DVD drive is open. Because it's broken. There is no way to 'close' it that I know of; I don't even have all the bits that came out. When I tried the "CD Close" option to see what would happen, SSF froze up and crashed. My question: is this going to cause a problem? If I'm using one of those 3rd party programs, will SSF think that is another physical drive and stop trying to close the real one? Or am I screwed until I can afford to fix it?

Secondary question: which mounting program do people think is best? (Running Win7.)

If anyone has info or advice, I'd appreciate it. I just started emulating again a few weeks ago (last time I emulated anything was about 10 yrs ago and playing Terranigma was the highlight of my summer), so I don't really know anything at all about emus for anything over 16-bit and everything's a lot more complicated now. Sorry if there's an answer to this someplace here, but a search didn't turn anything up and I'm at work and don't have time to read the entire forum.

-- ka

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
alcohol 52% or Daemon tools for virtual drives.

shouldn't be a problem once you install and select the virtual drive in ssf's config.

·
There is always hope, but you have to supply it.
6,886 Posts
Remove the drive, buy a new one.
Also, uninstall or disable the current drive via the device manager for now until you source a new dvd module.
This should stop windows reporting an open dvd status.

Also, what Squall said should be done too.

For bonus points, find a guy who doesn't have severe boundary issues. One that's self sufficient with personal responsibility for his own emotional stability.
People who have aggressive outbursts base their own value and state upon the actions of others, it's totally non-man behaviour.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks a lot for your suggestions (obviously i wasn't able to do much over the weekend, sadly). Hopefully disabling the device for now (it has occasionally been a problem elsewhere so this is a really helpful idea) and using a virtual drive program will work. Tragically I can't afford a new one for a while, but if all goes well, I guess it's not necessary for the moment.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts