Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I have huge problems solving these math tasks so if someone could me me out I would appreciate it very much...
Please if you know how to solve it, post the whole proccess of solving it, not just the result...
(the tasks are logarythms and exponential equation)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well the thing is I have no idea how to solve that's why I want to see the proccess...
The problem is that I don't need a precise solution, I don't understand yours though, and the first equation was given to us for practise, there's nothing wrong with it...
Thanks anyway!

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
At least check if you've typed it correctly. Just my guess. I proved that the right hand side doesn't equal the left one.

For the second one. Did you learn the "ln" ? (Sorry forgot it's scientific name) . If so, it's what I've used to solve it.

Sorry I tried my best, I told you it's been a while ^^

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We didn't learn the In...
and about the first equation, you must guess what x is, it can be only one solution, or an interval, so if you substitute x with 1, what you've proved is that the solution (x) isn't 1...

·
Emunext fanboy
4,241 Posts
Hmm yes I now see what you mean :p . Actually I thought it as wrong after doing these steps :

3 * (10^2x + 2*10^x) = (2*10^x + 1)^2
3*10^2X + 6*10^x = 4*10^2x + 4*10^x + 1
-1*10^2x + 2*10^x = 1
-2*ln10 + 2*ln 10 = 1 (Which is ofcourse wrong, since it's suppose to equal zero)

I recommend you to ask someone else ^_^ .

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wow thanks Betamax, you really simplified t, our math teacher showed , a way of sloving it that is much more complicated, yet this is logical and simple!
Thanks a lot!

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
I'd help you with the math, but Beta came first :p

Anyway, I agree with him, there's nothing hard about logs.

·
Registered
858 Posts
Boltzmann said:

yeh i must be retarded then, i found em hella hard....think i got 47% on the test...lol

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Guyver2K5 said:
yeh i must be retarded then, i found em hella hard....think i got 47% on the test...lol
I've seen that too many people have problems with math because they're too lazy. It happens with my brother, and with my GF too. They complain that the stuff is too hard, but they aren't devoting their intelligence to it.

Maybe that's your problem too ;)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Boltzmann said:

Actually he only solved the first task ;)
And about logarythms, they're not so hard, but our proffessor is very bad, he doen't know how to explain things very well that's why 25/26 students (!!!) failed the test...
The only person who was able to pass the test was a girl who was first on math championship (for the whole city), and she scored like 70%...

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
I agree with Boltz that logarithms aren't that difficult, but it might take some time to get used to them. Practice exercises involving them will increase your skill. I'm also lazy when it comes down to school. But after working more often with them, it will pay off.

I'll never forget our enthusiastic teacher do the 'log-wave' in front of the class :D
He might have some unorthodox teaching methods, but he's the best teacher of our school.

·
Back to regular business
3,258 Posts
It seems like ... years ... since I graduated - well, actually it is almost two of them.

Just wait until you come to derivations and integrals. Once you are there, you'll wish back those simple equations. And you'll fall in love with the e^x function, trust me ;)

·
Registered
9,506 Posts
Boltzmann said:
I've seen that too many people have problems with math because they're too lazy. It happens with my brother, and with my GF too. They complain that the stuff is too hard, but they aren't devoting their intelligence to it.

Maybe that's your problem too ;)
Personally I feel that a lot of folks have a psychological barrier when it comes to this stuff and also a lot of other things in life. They convince themselves they won't understand it before they even try. Overcoming that is always the first step.

IMHO the best thing to do is stop looking at the large picture. You'll only convince yourself even more that the task is insurmountable. Break it down into little things that you know you can do, or at least attempt. Before you know it you've got the thing conquored and are left wondering what all the fuss was about.

Of course don't end up like yours truely, who is so busy that he effectively hasn't had a social life in over 5 years....

·
Registered
8 Posts
The solution

Exercice 1:
Replace all the things by 0 and then abracadabra it appears that this is the solution
-10^2X + 2*10^X= 1 <-> -1+2=1 <-> 0=0

Exercice 2: the answer is x = ln(12)/ln(12/5)
5^X=12^X/12 <=> 5^X=12^(X-1) <=> x ln 5 = (x-1) ln 12
(x-1)/X = ln(5)/ln(12) <=> x = ln (12) / [ ln (12) - (ln5) ]
then You use ln a - ln b = ln (a/b) and you find my result

exercice 3: Quickly I found that it's X= 2^(1/4) * e ^(1/4) just used the fact that log (e)=1 and the formula log (a) + log (b) = log (ab) so the equation became log (2e*x^3) + 2 log (x) = 0 thus 2ex^4 must be equal to 1.

Thank you my brain was a bit rusty :hdbash: (<- the only way to start this f....ing machine,give me another one mine is defect)
But now my brain should work fine !

You just need to remeber a few things about logs.
Ln (x.y) = ln(x) + ln (y) from this you deduct that ln(x²)=2 ln (x) etc... so
ln (x^n) = n*ln(x)
and ln(x/y)= ln(x)-ln (y) so ln(1/x) = ln (1)-ln (x) = -ln(x)
ln(0) has nos solution and ln(e)=1
to go further: ln is the primitive of 1/X, e^x is a function defined to grow the fastest possible so it's derivative is e^x
You can manually calculate a good approximation of e by using the limited developpemnt (just traduced from french) e is infinite (in length)
e^1= SUM (1^k/k!,k=0,n)=1+1+1/2+1/6+1/24+1/120 remember 0! = 1 & 1!=1
& n!= (n)*(n-1)*(n-2)...*1*1
Log & exponentiel are widely used cause they considerably simplify calculations, and describe sometimes perfectly natural phenomenom.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Slight mistake for question 1 :cool:

If 10^X = 1
-> X = log 1
-> X = 0

Check:

3(10^2X+2*10^X) = (2 *10^X + 1)^2
-> f(x) = 3(10^2X+2*10^X) - (2 *10^X + 1)^2

Where X = 0:

f(x) = 3(1+2) - (2 * 1 + 1)^2
f(x) = 9 - 3 ^ 2
f(x) = 0

Logs are a pain :/

·
Registered
128 Posts
these questions are piece O' Cake man.Still if u cant solve lemme know.Coz i have never lost a single mark in math at any stage (always 100%).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts