Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been out of the console world for a few generations now. (To give you an idea Final Fantasy XIII was my last big investment, time-wise.)
I'm not an avid gamer but tuning the world out and killing a few hours is something I miss.
think I'm leaning towards a Switch. SUPER SMASH and ZELDA are two appealing gaming experiences I miss. (Plus, I hear you can play online now??)
(Honestly, my main resistance is that I might lose out on some fun non-Nintendo games -- including the upcoming Final Fantasy VII remake which I so want to try, but something's got to give.)
I currently use the Amazon Firestick, which isn't the best for streaming purposes, so a replacement (which I don't think the switch can be) would have been welcomed.

·
Registered
6,870 Posts
I'm enjoying the Switch, I see it as a powerful handheld device which can be connected to a TV to play with enhanced settings. The two joy-cons are also very useful for co-op games, Nintendo seems to be adding co-op modes (even if barebone) to many of their games. It means having a console which comes with 2 small controllers by default.

The FF7 remake could potentially make its way to the PC. I don't know if it's announced or not, but Sony seems to be allowing PS4 exclusives to make their way to PC.

Otherwise, here's what I'd recommend:
If you're on a tight budget: get a Xbox One S and the "Xbox Game Pass for Console".
The benefit: you get access to a large amount of games without having to spend a large amount of cash. It means paying a monthly price in return for being able to play games offered with the pass.
The downside: you're not picking the specific games you want to play, so if you're looking for something very specific (like Zelda or FF7) you won't get it. But since there's so many games available, you should still be able to find something else to enjoy. You might discover something new you didn't know you liked.

This is good if you're unsure of what you want.

If you're not on a tight budget:
Get either a PS4 Pro or a Switch.
Those two consoles also have multi platform games, but they'll add some exclusives (like those you mentioned seeking).
The downside is paying more by buying the specific games you want one by one (instead of the buffet offered by the xbox pass). I think a brand new game is 4 times the cost of the game pass. The benefit is being able to get exactly what you want, and owning the game instead of renting them with the pass.
This is a more expensive solution, but if there's a specific itch you want to scratch, it might be a better investment.

This is good if you know exactly what you're looking for

The Switch isn't good for streaming just yet. I believe it has access to HBO (not sure) and Youtube, but Netflix and Amazon Prime are meant to be added later at an unspecified date. As far as I know, the Wii U had access to streaming services, so I'm not sure what's holding them back with the Switch. Xbox and PS4 should both be just fine for streaming purposes, but if there's a specific service you're looking for, I'd google it just in case. They seem to cover the most well-known ones.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,602 Posts
Right now, if I were looking for a console, I'd go for the Switch. The other two are a bit at the end of their run (new ones coming up late this year or so) so the Switch is probably the place to be right now for the most interesting new game releases.

·
Registered
10,451 Posts
The Switch also has the online service that provides a number of SNES/NES games if you pay an annual fee right?

Its renting, but the fee isn't that big a year and online gamers will want to buy it anyways...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts