Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A friend of my brothers has a computer that he used perfectly fine earlier until the other day. My brother tells me that he put it on the carpet for a while, and thinks it might be fried by static? However, the case is pretty solid, and it doesn't look like it would just die because it was on the carpet for a little while. I tried turning it on and it doesn't seem to POST. I see the CD and floppy drives light up but then I don't hear any beeps that indicate the computer is starting. I get no signal from the video card either.

Any ideas on what it could be? It has 2 sticks of DDR RAM(I'm not sure how much), an Athlon XP CPU on a Soyo motherboard according to the logo sticker on the fan.

The parts still work from what I know. I tested out his ethernet card and Audigy and they installed and worked fine on my computer.

Any help would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
206 Posts
maybe your brothers friend drop his cpu ;) . tell your brother to check the cable connection , processor , ram and anything else inside cpu .make sure they're fit in place.

·
Registered
184 Posts
I'd first check to see that the speaker is plugged in (case speaker), I know mine doesn't work if it's plugged in backwards. That's only to make sure the speaker is working, and it's not beeping errors. A ram error will only beep once. Nothing will show on the screen but the drives will light up, including hard-drives.

Mine won't post about once a month, and all I have to do to fix it is re-seat the ram.
What type of motherboard is it?

·
Registered
690 Posts
try unplug the power supply of the monitor then plug it back in then turn on the computer, always make sure everything is plugged in and configure right. Worst to worst clear the cmos

1 - 4 of 4 Posts