Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Because of my birthday, my usual e-store gave me a 50€ voucher I have 2 weeks to use (must buy for at least 100€ but it's a good gift none-the-less).

I'm currently having very high temps (70-75°C) on my OCed Q6600 on very intensive load. Understand 100% use of all the 4 cores at once, which usually happens with long renders on 3DS max (games rarely make it go over 65° and it's only for the heaviest ones). So I thought that instead of simply aborting my 3D works, doing for something better than stock cooler could be a good idea, but I have few restrictions...

It must be mountable without removing the mainboard, 'cause I'm both lazy and clumsy.
It must also be listed on this list: French site but easily navigable from this link (only 3 pages, "page suivante" stands for "next page" in case it's not obvious)
And, preferably, I'd like it shipped with thermal paste/pad.

Needless to say, it has to be enough for my current 3ghz OC, and maybe few hundred MHz more ^^

Thanks

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
It must be mountable without removing the mainboard, 'cause I'm both lazy and clumsy.
It must also be listed on this list: French site but easily navigable from this link (only 3 pages, "page suivante" stands for "next page" in case it's not obvious)
And, preferably, I'd like it shipped with thermal paste/pad.

Needless to say, it has to be enough for my current 3ghz OC, and maybe few hundred MHz more ^^

Thanks
Make sure you buy yourself some Arctic Silver 5

You don't want a cooler that requires removal of the motherboard, yet you want a good one? o_O Most good coolers are large and heavy so they require you to remove the motherboard, and only to install a backplate. It really isn't that bad, but you aren't really going to find much you can use without breaking your motherboard in half.

My list::

red=on your list
green=not

Arctic Cooler Pro 7
- no mainboard removal but it won't cool as well as some of the others I'll list.

Thermaltake Big Typhoon.

Scythe Infinity and Ninja
Zalman 9700 or 9500A (does better than most people say, 5 degrees cooler than my old AC7pro)
Tuniq Tower(you'll have to buy a fan for this one, normally doesn't come with one.)
Thermalright Ultra(same as the TT, no fan.)

I didn't check your list, I just prescribed you some that kicked ass. Whether or not they're on the list, they still kick ass.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I don't know why, but this store doesn't have any Arctic cooler that goes on LGA775.
But I'll check the other ones. (those need to remove the mobo?)

EDIT: Seems that no. I'll wait for some more suggestions just in case, thanks anyways :)

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
I don't know why, but this store doesn't have any Arctic cooler that goes on LGA775.
But I'll check the other ones. (those need to remove the mobo?)

EDIT: Seems that no. I'll wait for some more suggestions just in case, thanks anyways :)
For the most part you do need to remove the mobo, or rather just tilt it upward so you can get to the back. I'd never want any chance of my motherboard cracking or being damaged by anything that heavy.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hmmm I see :s
That sucks, I already had enough troubles installing it the 1st time... plus I'll have to move quite a lot by the end of the month -_-

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Hmmm I see :s
That sucks, I already had enough troubles installing it the 1st time... plus I'll have to move quite a lot by the end of the month -_-
Well think of it this way, you get the right one and get it secured well so there's no chance of it breaking your mobo; that's all there is to it. You're only going to install it once if you do it right the first time. It isn't a major problem, it'll just be about 45 minutes of work or less.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
First and foremost...what case are you using? We don't want to suggest you something and find out it won't fit :lol:

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
First and foremost...what case are you using? We don't want to suggest you something and find out it won't fit :lol:
You've got a point, I'm not too sure myself if a Tuniq tower or Big Typhoon would fit in a mid-tower.

I've seen some convoluted weird stuff though in other people's cases that doesn't look like it should fit.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
I know, I've seen some pictures where a person took a dremel to the side and made a huge hole in the center so the heatsink could stick out :lol:

I've been reading up on the Scythe Ninja Mini cooler lately and it isn't that bad. It's dirt cheap and measures up to its big brother from what I've read.

·
Opensource-spice
1,503 Posts
Well I don't know about you or anyone else but I read Zalman 9500 reviews and shrug. All the trash-talking over it being "ricer trash" means nothing to me. My temps dropped drastically using it, not to mention the fact that I've got cold air blowing strait at the damn thing and the ability the heatsink has to accept air from any direction and cool just about everything around it.

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
The Zalman is nice. Price to performance wise though, it's up for grabs. If the price on it were to drop about $10-15, I'd definitely consider it.

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My case is one I took from my bro so I'm not sure about model name. It seems to be Xpola X5 or X6

·
Your resident reaper...
6,031 Posts
Hmmm, looks like a standard mid size ATX case.

The Thermaltake V1 is pretty good and it's a tad smaller then then TRUE and V8 due to its fins being angled diagonally instead of straight up.

·
Final Fantasy XXX
2,413 Posts
Thermalright Ultra eXtreme 120, you can put on any 120mm fan of your choice. The higher the CFM rating the better the TRUE cools your cpu which will yield higher overclock. The TRUE feel very sturdy built and you can clearly see the quality in this cooler :thumb:

Why is Thermalright better than other brands. Ultimate CPU Cooling Solutions! USA

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Except for the True Black, most of those you recommend aren't on the list...
I guess my choice is quite limited ^^'

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hmmm yeah but my goal here is to make use of my voucher, I could buy a 1TB HDD with it but I already have 750GB...

·
Registered
7,836 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'll check if it's on the list, thanks.

(BTW, I think you added me on MSN but I don't see/have you on my list)

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
ZEROtherm Nirvana is treating my CPU pretty well thus far, doesn't even exceed 55C full load @ 4GHz.
and I got for $25.
Never heard of it, but looking at a review of it, it's performing quite well. Granted the review isn't biased :p According to review it keeps the temperatures even low than a TRUE. And that is slightly better than a Mugen iirc. Though it does produce more noise.

I got a Mugen myself. It's quite good imo, but you should get a backplate with it. I don't know what kind of crack the research section was smoking to bring out a cooler like that without a backplate.

But for a mild overclock like 3Ghz a Arctic Freezer 7 Pro is even sufficient. And it's cheap. But the shop you linked doesn't sell it.

Overall, be careful with the size of some coolers. Some are huge, and some NB heatpipes might get in the way.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts