Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ive been trying to reinstall XP on an older computer I have thats mainly used for work (Asrock K7VT6 Mobo, AMD Athlon 1900+, (C:) 80GB ATA, (D:) 20GB ATA, Radeon 9600, 512 DDR266 ram, DVD+R Writer), but I keep getting the "irql_not_less_or_equal" error during installation (Formatting stage). After the first few times it's already made the main drive ususable and cant even be picked up on boot up, leaving me with the 20gig HD, (I plan on getting a new one soon). Ive tried disconnecting eveything, including PCI cards etc but still no luck.
Puzzling is that there's no problems when installing with a Pirate XP CD, but I need to get it to work with my original CD so that I can use it in the long run.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
theres no such thing as a pirate copy of XP. all versions are legit.

its the keys that are illegal.

Find a copy of XP SP3 online and install that using your own key.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.
After giving the PC another look I decided that after 5 years, its time to replace most of the innards of the PC along with the Hard Drive. Im thinking of replacing the Mobo/CPU/Memory and possibly the DVD Drive. It should be relatively inexpensive if the PC is going to be used just for work or watching movies.
Anyone recommend any hardware components? My knowledge on PC hardware is a few years off.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,574 Posts
It depends on the work, but really, that PC should be fine if it's just for work. It's what you use for getting paid, so don't pay into it if it's already fine. Just drop a cheap drive into it and be done with it (unfortunately, I think IDE drives are more expensive than SATA now, so don't go overboard and get a larger size).

If you do replace it, honestly, just about anything would be fine if it's for replacing what that did for work.

By the way, I haven't seen that error much myself, but I think drivers and RAM are usually the top two causes (as those two things always seem to be). A bad hard drive wouldn't surprise me to cause this either.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
I was looking at parts recently since my mums old desktop is showing signs of age (like freezing at random........) well.... the capacitors have passed their 3 years of use anyway....

was looking at a Athlon II setup... with the right part combination it wouldn't cost to much.

"By the way, I haven't seen that error much myself, but I think drivers and RAM are usually the top two causes (as those two things always seem to be). A bad hard drive wouldn't surprise me to cause this either."

usually its a bad driver issue.
memory corruption is usually in the 0x7 to 0x7F range, and will be things like pfn list or page corrupt. blah.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.