Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Aim 4 the stars...
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Those of you who know about the job I got, let me tell you that I'll be getting my first salary and joining bonus day after tomorrow... =}

I need the help of you great ones, to help me build my dream PC. What I plan to use it for:

1) Gaming.
2) More importantly: Graphics. I love working on 3Ds max, Vue xStream and stuff. You know, so... the more powerful the better. I'd like to be able to actually add enough objects in design time without the machine slowing down <angerrrry face>

I'm willing to invest as much as necessary (upto $4000). Liquid cooling, this stuff, that stuff... etc

Here's the problem. All I know is that stuff like Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti = epic. But, I'm sure that there's more to things that just that. Thankfully, I'm also aware of Alienware's hype, and I'm not too interested in buying graphics workstations from brands out there (unless you believe this might be worth it)...

·
Administrator
15,433 Posts
bad time to build a pc, ddr4 prices are high, gpu prices are even worse. but with a budget up to $4000 I guess that doesn't matter :p 1080 ti is $1100-1300 so maybe a titan Xp will be better cuz that is $1200

I want to upgrade my pc and it will cost me $1200, if gpu prices weren't messed up cuz of miners it wouldn't be $1200 at all!

yes I am complaining about the prices 16GB ddr4 being $80-100 more than this time last year, and gpu prices either priced high or priced $150-600 over retail price and sold out.

anyway are you interested in a lot cores for the cpu? you would need a decent motherboard never go cheap on that, 32GB ram should be fine, at minimum at least 600w psu. How about storage? ssd via sata? ssd via nvme m.2? gpu will be most of the cost. A nice monitor too (16:9? 21:9?)
AIO water cooling? custom loop? air cooled? Then you need a case.

In fact prebuilts are cheaper currently than building a pc, most are selling gpus at cost.

·
Ya'ver drink Brazilian bold from fkn dunkn donuts!
7,828 Posts
Your workloads are CPU core friendly, more cores will help you in what you need, particularly for rendering.

Gaming CPU's are ok, the 8700k has great turbo for single core, but when all 6 are loaded it won't be so amazing. You might want to check out the 2066 line if you want to go for some 8 or 10 cores with an okay amount of cache. You can still get away with 4.2 turbo with a 10 core intel over 2 cores or so which isn't too shabby, won't really hinder your gaming time. It's gonna be the end of the year before we see Cannonlake and I doubt that it's going to be mind blowing for desktop stuff.

AMD are about to drop the 'tock' version of Zen and will most likely fix all the bios shitups from launch and have the meltdown/spectre stuff patched out the gate, probably coupled with an extra 200mhz or so of performance, but I'm guessing again that it won't be an overclocking demon for 1 or 2 cores. They are very good chips and if you can get an Epyc then lmao at having all the cores.

GPU Ampere is coming very soon so it may pay to wait for the new 1180 or whatever it's called. The new memory modules are stupid fast and the compute aspect may be pretty sweet if they haven't buttfucked the design for crypto nonsense. If not a 1080ti will be fantastic value as the 20 units used for computation are very good (I use mine for photogrammetry and it's awesome).

16gb will be very good for most workloads, my renderings are all building based and it gets me through quite fine. 32 may leave you wanting your money back, but if the $200 makes or breaks your system, get 16. China just started fabricating their own DDR4 memory and told the cartels to cut the shit out and make more. If it hurts their smartphone business, they might have enough sway to push prices down later in the year.

*note* be careful with RGB rams, some of the early models have some fuckery with how they control the colours and can destroy the module haha.

Case really depends on what formfactor you want, coupled with silence or performance. It's really hard to go past Fractal as their new R6 case is phenomenal, has great room, cooling options, storage, sound and looks beautiful. The Phanteks are also very versatile and well built. Be Quiet! are also worth looking at.

·
Aim 4 the stars...
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your help, I learnt a lot!

Before I think of telling you the specifics of what I'd like... I notice that Yeloazndevil say that prebuilt are cheaper. By that, do you mean something like https://www.originpc.com ? You know.. companies which sell high end computers which are prebuilt... Is that the way to go? Do they allow customizing machines in the way you both mentioned?

·
7,828 Posts
As for component selection I'd suggest looking at the i9-7900x. You get a tonne of PCIE lanes for extra graphics cards or nvme drives, 10 physical cores and 20 threads, 4+ghz albeit with pretty heavy power consumption. The 7820x is still quite excellent value with 8 cores and enough PCIE lanes for a good GPU.

·
Aim 4 the stars...
569 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Okay... I took your suggestions (to the best of my knowledge).

How do you think this configuration and price is?

upload_2018-3-1_21-23-43.png

·
7,828 Posts
If you're going to overclock, you'll probably want to put in a very beefy PSU.

As good as that CPU is (I really want one) it'll pull a lot of wattage from the wall, especially if you overclock and you're gonna need to pump juice through it without hesitation, plus for performance over the life of the system with PSU dropoff, I'd go at least 850.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
and have the meltdown/spectre stuff patched out the gate...
AMD never had the meltdown security risk, it was just intel.

do not buy intel.

wallets need to protest against inefficient heat dissipation on their high end processors.

7900x processors are known for throttling due to high temps.
What Squall is trying to say this that Intel uses a pretty shitty TIM between the IHS and the contact between the IHS (also known as "lid" or CPU heatspreader) and the die isn't great either, which is why deliding has been becoming so popular right now, if you want to OC deliding is pretty necessary for higher frequencies. I prefer the soldering tehnique AMD still uses, but it can work okay with TIM as well if done right.

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
no what he is saying is the 7900x hits 90C+ easily on load and will throttle to hell.

Also amd is moving towards TIM now from soldering
While he did also mentioned the 7900x he did say its a problem with "high end processors" not just one, in all honesty problems started from the 7700k and it only went downhill from there, and one of the main issues with poor heat dissipation is the poor contact the IHS makes with the die and the low quality TIM, so i honestly don't see how that is a no :p.

As for using AMD using TIM... Well while it does sadden me, that they are moving away from soldering, Intel has shown in the past that TIM can be efficient if done right (but for some reason lately they choose to do it wrong which makes even worse).

·
ヒット激しく速く
19,429 Posts
Sandybridge used soldering its only with ivybridge where they started using TIM so it makes sense :p (they also used soldering on Broadwell-E and Hasswell-E), but still temps where mostly acceptable, if you didn't attempt a large OC at least, with the 7700k it really really went down hill... 6700k wasn't exactly good at it either but from the 7700k they let themselves go.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts