Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

I'm new to the forums and have been unable to solve a problem to which I was hoping to find some assistance. I have been trying for ages to get my Dark Wizard game to work on an emulator. I have an old sega CD system and the actual disc of the game, but I can only play it through the first stage with the emulators. As soon as I defeat the first stage, the game simply does not continue. It freezes in the dialogue screen after you beat the first level. Does anyone know what might be wrong? Perhaps it is something to do with how I am configuring the emulator? I've tried the game on Kega, Gens, Gens +, and Ages and it does the same thing on all of them.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I have gotten far past the first stage in wGens 2.11, and I remember people reporting it working correctly in Fusion.

I'd say, download the latest Kega Fusion (3.51) by clicking the logo in my sig. Alternatively, you could download Gens from www.gens.ws, but only if you don't have nForce chipset's drivers installed (which you shouldn't if you don't have an nForce chipset on your motherboard). Make sure the Perfect Synchro option is turned on in the emulator of choice, as stressed in every readme and messageboard pertaining to SegaCD emulation in these two emulators.

If you're using Gens, make sure you don't use save states, as its SegaCD state implementation is bugged as hell and will screw up your game completely very quickly.

If your game still freezes, then your CD might be scratched, and you could try making an image out of it. If you want to know how to create an image of a CD, use the search function on this board or google it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Saved Sega CD games

I found the posting about the Dark Wizard game which I have always loved but can only really find the time needed to play it when I'm on vacation. Or a wet weekend. But I did want to say that I have had no problem saving games when I am using the Gens emulator. It actually surprised that it worked, but I simply access the backup ram that you can bring up, just as you would on the Sega CD unit. I have done this countless times, even saving many different levels of the game, and they have all played fine when I came back to them. You might not want to shy away from this and try saving Dark Wizard at times when you aren't too far into it, and then come back and try to re-load that particular save to see if it worked for you. It's well worth the attempt with a game of this size.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I wanted to add something about saving games of Dark Wizard. Use the backup ram feature as it's more reliable than just hitting save and gives you more flexibility on saved files. If you use the first internal backup ram you will find you have 124 blocks free, enough for three games. But if you click on Change, you will be taken to the backup ram which offers 1021 blocks to store saved games. Save the games properly and you shouldn't have any problems.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are having trouble with the dark wizard sega cd freezing after first stage then make sure you have Perfect Syncho enabled. This option is disabled with the default settings. Make sure this is enabled and you should not have any problems. BTW, always make sure this is enabled when playing any sega cd roms. Most of the sega cd roms will freeze if this is not enabled.
Any of the gens versions are fine, never tried fusion.

·
Banned
23,263 Posts
Please don't bump old threads, that have already been addressed and fixed.

·
Registered
1 Posts
This is an old post but I found it on the google search. I want to start playing old retro sega cd games again after a few years and I hope someone will help me choosing a good Sega CD Emulator with good graphic and sound. Let me know the opinions?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts