Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, my younger brother's PC got hit with something really bad. He called me up and said he thought he had some spyware. I don't know how he got it (probably unsafe surfing habits), but when shown the PC, Windows (XP SP3) wouldn't do much.

It had some odd background with text (I didn't read it).

Anything you clicked (like in the Start menu) would not do what it was supposed to, and would instead pop up a notification balloon at the corner of the taskbar (didn't read it) and then launch a page saying the system was infected and was trying to sell some anti-spyware.

Ctrl+Alt+Del does nothing at all.

You can't right click.

Anything in the Control Panel does not load (at least the Add/Remove Programs option didn't).

I think you can browse the computer's contents (ala, via "My Computer").

Honestly, I'm not that good with removing spyware this severe. I'd rather just reformat the thing.

So I take it and hook it up to my television, and turn it on. I planned on installing the RC of Windows 7 on it. Only, there's a problem there too. It won't load. The text comes up saying "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD", but pressing a key does nothing. It passes that and then goes to load Windows XP. Yes, the CD-Rom drive works (as it detects the CD in it to begin with, and was working beforehand). Yes, the keyboard works. I tried mine. If you press F8 to get the menu to boot into safe mode, the keyboard fails to work on that screen too, so I know it's the keyboard halting during those times. It works fine beforehand though, as I can get into the BIOS.

So, what the heck is going on? How can this thing be doing anything before Windows even loads? Is the BIOS corrupted?

Also, since I hooked it up in my room, it has slightly different behavior. Upon booting Windows, it does nothing at all. The normal wallpaper comes up instead of the background with text, but otherwise, the system is still useless. In fact, it's completely frozen and unresponsive. The cursor is an arrow when over the wallpaper, but a perpetual (busy) icon when over the taskbar. You can't right click, use Ctrl+Alt+Del, or click on the Start menu. Windows is completely unresponsive to anything and everything. I think it's because I don't have it connected to the internet, so it never "calls home" and doesn't let anything else happen at all.

Anyway, does anyone have any ideas? I'd ideally like to install Windows 7 RC on it, but the keyboard dies when the message comes up to hit a key to boot from the DVD.

The specifications, if they matter.

ASRock P4i65G
Pentium 4 2.8GHz
2GB PC3200 (DDR400) RAM
nVidia GeForce 6800 GS AGP
320GB SATA Hard Disk
DVD+RW burner

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
Anyway, does anyone have any ideas? I'd ideally like to install Windows 7 RC on it, but the keyboard dies when the message comes up to hit a key to boot from the DVD.
Does he use a USB keyboard?

Ensure "Legacy Keyboard Support" (may be named something slightly different) is enabled in BIOS.

If that's not possible, you may need to get your hands on a PS2 keyboard.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was just going to edit the post about that very thing until I saw your post. I know he used to have a PS/2 keyboard, but I think the current one he has may be a USB one. In any case, I was using mine, so that doesn't matter. Mine is USB. However, Legacy USB support is enabled in the BIOS. Remember, I can press F8 to get the boot menu to come up (which I think I wouldn't be able to do if what you're saying was the cause). I just can't do anything once it does.

·
No sir, I don't like it.
7,022 Posts
I mention using a PS2 keyboard to at least get a Windows installation CD to run after the "Press any key to boot from CD/DVD" message appears.

In all likelihood, a corrupted BIOS is very unlikely since a BIOS virus needs to be custom-tailored to that specific BIOS. Though it could be bad CMOS data. This can be fixed by loading the BIOS defaults and then exiting and saving.

·
Banned
35,081 Posts
boot into safe mode with networking.

install Ikarus virus utilities in trial mode. and Malware Bytes antimalware.

update both and let them pwn the virus for a few hours till nothing else pops up.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
That's assuming Windows isn't totally unresponsive in safe mode too.

Anyway, I once hooked up a PS/2 keyboard onto my old Dell Optiplex GX1 and it had trouble functioning prior to Windows loading. In the BIOS, it would work, in the boot menu, sometimes not. It was totally inconsistent. Just hook up a PS/2 keyboard, that should solve the problem.

·
From Love and Limerence
6,584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I got it taken care of. I used a PS/2 keyboard (had to move my monitor and desk to get to my closet door). It's odd how the key presses weren't registering on the USB keyboard, even with Legacy USB Support enabled. I thought my current USB keyboard was the one I used to install Windows XP on it. In any case, Windows 7 is installing on it now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.