Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was wondering which of these games i should purchase next.

I heard vagrant story has an amazing plot, and i am a huge fan of plots. However, i have also heard that the combat system isnt all what its all cracked up to be and actually subtracts from the fun factor.

For Chrono Cross, I was goin to get it only because Chrono Trigger was my most favoritest game ever until last week when Xenogears rolled into my life. My friend, who has very similar taste to me gamewise, for some reason didnt like this game. He said sumthin along the lines of too childlike or sumthin

For SO2, i want to get it because i remember my friend playing it and saw that it looked really fun. but when i read about this game and its predecessor on gamefaqs, i found that plotwise the first one is great. I also recieved news that translation for SO for zsnes is almost complete. Woot!!!

So i was wondering which game is most enjoyable gameplay wise beucase i tend to lose interest quite quickly. i also want to enjoy the games plot mucho much, which will hopefully be up to par with the godlike Xenogears. Thanks everyone!:cool:

·
Registered
11,307 Posts
Vagrant Story I'm not going to comment on, since I've yet to get past about an hour in it (haven't had the time).

Chrono Cross just didn't do much for me. It's definitely interesting with graphic enhancements, but I've never been a big fan of no possibilities for leveling (even though you really don't need to in that game). Other than a few elements and conversations, Chrono Cross is very much unlike Chrono Trigger. Having said all that, the music is exceptional and alone almost sells the game (it's very similar to Xenogears, which makes sense, considering Mitsuda did them both).

I love Star Ocean 2 despite Sony's localization. The battles are a lot of fun, the plot is neat, and there is a ton of replayability (more than the other two). As a warning, do Claude's plot first, because Rena's is...well, lacking. Of the three games, I'd say Star Ocean 2 might be the one most suited to your tastes.

·
これはバタスです
6,338 Posts
I've only played Vagrant Story for a couple of hours and it wasn't really to my liking. I'm just not into that realism thing, plus the battle system was rather strange (kinda like PE, but melee fighting). I haven't played enough to give an accurate rating though.

As for Chrono Cross, it is no Chrono Trigger. There is virtually nothing that links the games together with the exception of Lavos and the occasional mention of CT characters (Belthasar, Mama & Mune, Shala, etc.). It's not a bad game though but may be somewhat complicated. As for it being childish, it's not any more childish than CT. The characters may look a bit young but the style of graphics is anime. The best thing about the game is its plot and it's worth playing the game just for that. The soundtrack is awesome as well.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
k thx for the info but does vagrant have a plot thats really spectacular?

also, i agree with u ryos, Yasunori Mitsuda is a most excellent composer for music...nearly brings me to tears hehehe.;)

S

·
0 Posts
Vagrant story, yuck!!!!!!!! I tried and tried but I could not get myself to play that game at all. I wound up getting rid of it. One thing was, IMHO, the lack of plot. Just fights and puzzles and more of the same. I did look at Star Ocean 2 once, and it does seem to be a very nice game. Chrono Cross I bought w/the hope of of it being another Chrono Trigger, boy was I wrong. Except for the decent graphics and very nice music, I didn't care for it either. I wound up getting rid of it as well. So, I would say, go w/Star Ocean 2.
sincerely,
sx/amiga

·
playing FGO
10,133 Posts
I have all three games too, and IMO i would rate them in the following order:

1. Star Ocean 2

2. Chrono Cross
3452. Vagrant Story

·
Registered
425 Posts
VS has the best plot of the 3 games easily, it's also a hell of alot harder then the other 2. VS is my fav game ever but i'll say this, this game is SERIOUSLY not for everyone, i myself sometimes get enraged at it's difficultly, but VS has a far more lasting inpresiion then the other 2. Those 2 are just games, Vagrant Story is a work os art, and like art on certain people will apreciate a specific stlye. OK enuff with being far, VS blows both games away in plot and Gfx, SO2 has the funniest battle system with great music but it still has some horrible flaws. Chrono cross is chrono cross, go figure. One thing to say though, IGN picked Vagrant Story as the greatest rpg game of the psx and the 6th greatest game for the psx. Hope you like art...

·
Registered
50 Posts
C´mon...Chrono its the best rpg ever made!!!...but i love Vagrant story to,but Chrono ......its just...just....perfect??!!

yeah maybe...

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Chrono Trigger USED to be my biggest most favorite greatest game ever......until Xenogears came along

·
Registered
2,156 Posts
call me strange but I liked Chrono cross better than Chrono trigger...more likeable characters and such....

anyways, my choice would be Chrono Cross then SO2 with VS being last, but it's better than Ledgend of Dragoon...I'm having big problems trying to like that game!

·
Registered
72 Posts
chrono cross rulez!!

yeah chrono cross is the best rpg for psx ever!!! but its a pity that it couldnt even reach europe.........so i think there wont be a second part.....or only for ps2............................:confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hello everyone.
If you can afford it, I suggest you buy all of them, although I didn't like Vagrant Story a little bit. But I highly recommend Star Ocean 2 The Second Story. It is a very great game, and very interesting indeed. The storyline is excellent, and it's creative battle system is superb. It has a very high replay value, I finished the game four times if you want to be really satisfied with it. Chrono Cross is also a good game, and it also has a high replay value. That because if you want to get all 44 characters, you have to play that game at least three times. Also, if you have played Chrono Trigger, then you might wanna play Chrono Cross, if you want to know what happened after the first adventure ended. Honestly, I suggest Star Ocean 2 and Chrono Cross. Vagrant Story can wait, if you want it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts