Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys. I started with emus around 2 weeks ago. I've always been a fan of Fighting and Racing games. When a good friend told me about ePSXe I installed it and try it with one of his games and it worked well, so I took the risk and went down to the store and bought one of the games I've always loved playing in the arcades a while back, Tekken 3. Well although it required a bit of work I finally managed to make it play well on my machine (I had to make an ISO cause CDROM reading was slowing it down), I'm enjoying the game pretty much and now I want to buy another of those games that I've always wanted to play, Gran Turismo 2.

But before I go to the store and spend my hard earned twenty bucks for the game I wanna now your opinion, 'cause since it's a racing game I suppose the systems requirements are higher than Tekken 3 and I don't have a very powerful machine (specifications below), and I guess that a racing game with a bad framerate wouldn't be a good gaming experience. My system is:

P2-450 mhz running Win98 SE
128 mb pc100 ram
TNT AGP card(STB) with 16mb (latest nvidia drivers)
SBLive Sound card
Wingman Rumblepad USB analog/digital gamepad (very much like the dual shock controller)

I'm willing to make an ISO to run the game, cause it seems that my CDROM drive has problems with ePSXe (it slowed down Tekken 3 a lot)

I'm a bit worried because today my cousin brought here his "Need for Speed High Stakes" CD and the game just sucked with the ePSXe, so I wonder if that could be the same with Gran Turismo 1 or 2, too bad he doesn't have neither of the Gran Turismo titles so I could test it beforehand.

Any help and comments will be very much appreciated.

Cheers........Drac

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I think it would play well if you turn down alot of the options. You should probably use Pete's D3D and set it to fast. Then again I have a faster system and video card than you so I'm not possitive. I'd go out of my way to try to find a friend that you can borrow it from.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
i have a similar system, except for the 3d card (see profile) i think my voodoo3 would beat your tnt, and more ram.

so i'd image if you use a lower res (i'm using 1024x768 usually) then it wouldn't be that slow. plus you can always use a fast spu, like the internal spu core, to speed things up.

btw, if you can get bleem! for a low price, it runs GT2 even faster than epsxe, at least on my machine.

i'd say go for it. i got my GT2 on a sale for cdn$20 (~usd$14), well worth it.

and if you're considering GT1, it's even faster (requires less spec) and just as much fun.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I have a lower performance computer and GT2 works well, I have to run it in software mode, cause it slows a lot if i use my Apoclypse 3dx. Anyway It'll probably work well in your machine. But as Adair said, you should try to borrow it from a friend to check it out!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts