Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well as it appears from the title I'm in need of some help regarding a grammar task. I need to find subordinate clauses in these sentences):

a)He was delighted to see that Oliver could sit up.

b)Since I've come her I've been involved in the Women in Ireland group in London.

c)I Wonder whether uncle Walter will be well enough to attend the reception.

d)You're entitled to have your own legal representative present if you want to.

e)I hadn't realised at the time how tough it was.

f)If you don't tell me your dirty little secrets, I can't help you.

g)Disappointed supporters demanded to know why Chapman had not signed any new players since the summer.

h)You may give me a kiss, dear Mary, since it is soon to be your birthday.

i)Eight of the original cast of virtual unknowns have been axed since it began last summer.

And i have no idea at all! :(

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Easy way out, find a subordinate conjuction, whatever subject and verb that follows is the subordinate sentence. Just be sure that what you are selecting to be a subordinate conjunction is actually one.
k, i'll give it a try..

b)Since I've come her I've been involved in the Women in Ireland group in London.

g)Disappointed supporters demanded to know why Chapman had not signed any new players since the summer.

i)Eight of the original cast of virtual unknowns have been axed since it began last summer. (no idea with this one)

So how bad is it :(

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
a. right
b. wrong
c. right
e. right.
f. right.
g. wrong
h. right.
i) ----

In each sentence, try to locate which is the main idea of the sentence, and which sentence just serves as explanation to the circumstances, or object of the main sentence. Quick and dity way: a subordinate clause is always preceded by a subordinate conjuction.

For i, apply the same principle. Subordinate clause: since

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Ok i think it' s ok now

i)Eight of the original cast of virtual unknowns have been axed since it began last summer.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
Other than (B), everything looks fine to me. English is the hardest language to learn from all the slang, jargon and other stuff constantly added to it. TBH, I wish my Danish was as good as your English. My Danish sucks pretty bad, and this is one language I am actually trying to learn.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Other than (B), everything looks fine to me. English is the hardest language to learn from all the slang, jargon and other stuff constantly added to it. TBH, I wish my Danish was as good as your English. My Danish sucks pretty bad, and this is one language I am actually trying to learn.
I think English is actually pretty easy to learn, mostly because of the exposure it gets and the amount of material that can be consumed for learning passively (think games and movies). It's not the easiest language to master, that's certain. Also being an oddball in terms of grammar and all, I can imagine it's rather hard to learn another language if English is your primary one, especially since there's hardly any reason to do so, as half the world speaks it decently.

As for these kind of tasks, I find them highly irrelevant when learning a language, unless you intend to become a teacher of the language. Good luck with it though, Darkplayer :)

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Also being an oddball in terms of grammar and all, I can imagine it's rather hard to learn another language if English is your primary one, especially since there's hardly any reason to do so, as half the world speaks it decently.
Don't underestimate the power of Spanish and Chinese, we are coming for you! I just learned that in a big chunk of Miami and other cities in the southern states it's impossible to get your way around in English, and you must talk in Spanish or no one will understand you. Mwhahaha. Same with Chinese and the several Chinatowns around the country.

On a more serious notes, as much as I dislike English for being the chimera it is in terms of all the adopted words and rules it has acquired throughout the years, having a single world language would be of more benefit in the long run. Personally I'd prefer Esperanto.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Danish is actually considered as one of the most difficult languages to learn! I'm actually quite persistent when it comes to learning languages. I'm also (fortunately!) fluent in Turkish and German :p

But most of all I want to learn Japanese, and perhaps Chinese, but due to the fact that it's so difficult I've nearly given up hope! :-(

Oh, and btw: Teach yourself Danish - Danish course with audio :-D

Oh! Almost forgot! Thx to everyone helping me out :)

·
You're already dead...
5,472 Posts
Don't underestimate the power of Spanish and Chinese, we are coming for you! I just learned that in a big chunk of Miami and other cities in the southern states it's impossible to get your way around in English, and you must talk in Spanish or no one will understand you. Mwhahaha. Same with Chinese and the several Chinatowns around the country.
That really just applies to the poor/lower class/ghettos of the cities.
Immigrants that refuse to learn English or are unable to do so.

And the majority of people that don't speak english are adults; their kids are almost always bilingual since they learn English from the schools.

Any worthwhile job requires you to speak English, however there are a lot of jobs that require or look for bilingual speakers.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.