Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hehe. As of this post, I'm posting from within a Virtual PC environment running win98se. Running in Winxp. It's strange, but the other day I came across an application that needed dos, so I went hunting for some type of dos emulator. Came across a few that worked, but were mainly for playing old dos games and not installing and running actual windows applications. Then I went hunting for some type of windows emulation.

I found that there are several virtual PC environment software available, but MS Virtual PC has a 45 day trial period. So here I am running win98se from within winxp. It's kinda cool in a geeky sorta way, but atleast it's all sorta familiar. The BSOD's, longer load times, missing files on startup, and ectt.. Hehe. I'll probably test some applications or games with it sooner or later. Some cool things about this is that it allows you to essentially pause the win98 and continue later sorta like a savestate of windows. You can resume later without restarting the virtual PC.

Anyways, has anyone else had experience with this software? What's the limitations to it? Can it play PC games or use PC software of yore? So far, I'm still updating win98se with windows updates.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I assume that there no porformance upgrades by doing this right? As the computer would have to run XP, VPC and 98.

·
Premium Member
8,586 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hight doubt it, but most older applications, mainly dos applications, don't require much anyways. It's sorta cool to see the old win98se startup screens and sound from within winxp. The performance of the Virtual Environment seems fairly good for just rudimentary uses. I'll probably test other applications later.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
I've used both VMWare and Virtual PC. One of them I tried with Fedora Core 2, and the other one I was able to run Mechwarrior 2 at full speed (I can't remember which emulator ran which program/OS). Both emulators ran Windows 98SE quite well and I was able to access the Internet pretty easily. Now that I've reformatted I should try both programs again, especially to see if I can get FC2 (or 3) to work this time :p.

·
Canadian Spaceman
8,767 Posts
I tried longhorn 4008 in it, but it was really really really slow :p I also tried a few linux os's in vmware but tossed all pc emulation out when I got my hands on a spare hdd :)

S

·
0 Posts
virtualpc runs a number of directdraw games under win95/98 that don't work under xp, but not all of them....also, with some soundcards it seems to crash sometimes with ddraw.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
You can set it to use a certain amount of memory so that shouldn't be too much of a problem. 98SE runs pretty good with only 64 MB RAM. Anything less than 32 MB in 98SE is quite slow so I recommend allocating at least 32.

·
Registered
350 Posts
hmmm. maybe a little hint for you!

it's called dual-boot!!!

I have it too, win98se and winxp!

·
Registered
350 Posts
yeah ok, but why install virtual PC for a Dos-application! it sucks so much resources. So if you do a dualboot win98/XP. you can choose for win98 and then run the dos-application! much faster!

·
Banned
9,111 Posts
If he dosn't have another partition installing 2 OSes on the same partition could be troublesome later so this is an easiet alternative and the Virtual PC actuaily runs pretty well

S

·
0 Posts
I find dual boot annoying... at least with the vpc, you can easily add/remove stuff, as opposed to permantly having to use a largely obsolete operating system.

·
I'm in despair!
3,420 Posts
fivefeet8 said:
Anyways, has anyone else had experience with this software? What's the limitations to it? Can it play PC games or use PC software of yore? So far, I'm still updating win98se with windows updates.
I used VMWare for a LOT of time for testing and demo purposes. I had a bunch of VMs for Win95, Win98, WinMe and so on that I could boot anytime to test for compatibility with our software. Very handy. :)

Rudy_x said:
hmmm. maybe a little hint for you!

it's called dual-boot!!!

I have it too, win98se and winxp!
I prefer to use VMWare and avoid rebooting all the time between different OSes.

[]s Badaro

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Rudy_x said:
yeah ok, but why install virtual PC for a Dos-application! it sucks so much resources. So if you do a dualboot win98/XP. you can choose for win98 and then run the dos-application! much faster!
Yes, but there are inherent problems with that:
  1. I want to use my drives in NTFS format. Although there are programs that allow NTFS access in 98, I stil have to create a seperate partition. If I use VMWare or VirtualPC though, I can have an autosizing file for the harddrive.
  2. I run a lot of streaming apps. Thus I have no desire to turn my PC off. If I use VPC or VMWare, I can continue to run them in the background while using 98
Of course there are a number of advantages to this option too
  1. Much faster (less resourse usage)
  2. 3d accelleration support, including 3dfx cards
For me however, I'd rather build up a seperate machine for '98 use.

·
Banned
177 Posts
Kane-Sama said:
Yes, but there are inherent problems with that:
  1. I want to use my drives in NTFS format. Although there are programs that allow NTFS access in 98, I stil have to create a seperate partition. If I use VMWare or VirtualPC though, I can have an autosizing file for the harddrive.
  2. I run a lot of streaming apps. Thus I have no desire to turn my PC off. If I use VPC or VMWare, I can continue to run them in the background while using 98
Of course there are a number of advantages to this option too
  1. Much faster (less resourse usage)
  2. 3d accelleration support, including 3dfx cards
For me however, I'd rather build up a seperate machine for '98 use.

pwned...

anyway i agree with kane, I program some and i have lots of services i keep running alwayz and would hate to have to shut them down to play something simple like a dos game.

·
/dev/user
407 Posts
If you have a less-than-stellar computer, then vmware/VPC is probably not the best option. I know I played with it a bit in the past on my 1ghz, 256mb ram box. It ran sort of well but there was a huge performance hit on the rest of the stuff I was doing.

·
Registered
209 Posts
If you want to do be really hardcore, post through WinUAE, it can emulate a full Amiga and make full use of your pc hardware through windows...

Meaning you get 16 million colors, high resolution workbench, 16-bit sound and networking.

Obviously you have to know a little about AmigaOS to get it all working, and unless you own the kickrom and workbench it would be illegal. ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts