Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a WD 40GB HDD (8MB buffer 7.2kRPM) which is IDE and since its terribly less for me, I am gonna get another 80GB disk. But I was thinking of getting the Sata version of WD 8MB buffer and 7200RPM.

However, my lack of info leads me to this question that are there any problems when you use one IDE disk and another Sata disk?

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Nope... I have an 80 on SATA and 10 on IDE. Alive and kicking for 1 year now.

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
How do you set primary and secondry and master and slave? Is it done the usual way (jumper settings) ?

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woah, so I just go out, buy and hook it in?

Well, thanks for the inputs. I'll post further queries if I come across any.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
21,982 Posts
Syed Fawad said:
Woah, so I just go out, buy and hook it in?
yep. i dont know anything about the SATA-->IDE converter cables...but i have installed a few SATA hard drives and they are so incredibly easy. i've built a lot of computers and the invention of SATA, in my opinion, is one of the most important ones in the last few years. open your case, plug in the hdd to power and SATA, boot it, and there it is. it's everything you always wanted a hard drive install to be!

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
hushypushy said:
yep. i dont know anything about the SATA-->IDE converter cables...
They act and look exactly like a SATA drive to the computer so you don't have to mess with them. Setting it to master/single should do the trick, although it may work on slave too.

·
The Nexus of a Crisis, and The Origin of Storms
767 Posts
Greetings,

I bought a HighPoint RocketHead100 for my computer a year or two back, since I didn't have a spare IDE slot for my new HD. These things are awesome. Not only does it pretty much make your IDE drive into a SATA one (plugn'play), but my data transfer performance was actually faster by a couple of percentage points! SATA is definetly an awesome innovation. I have a Western Digital 80GBSE, btw.

Sincerely,
TastEPlasma

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You mentioned percentage points. Got any software that calculates such things?

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
SATA actually seems like a step backwards in technology. IDE never was a very good technology, so being a step up from IDE isn't saying much.

For example, my main problem is described below from the SATA specs:

Connection Methodology

Ultra ATA – Master/Slave Shared Bus
Ultra ATA technology supports up to 2 drives per channel via a shared bus. Though the two attached devices are referred to as “master” and “slave”, there is no difference in operation between or priority given to the connected devices.

The host bus adapter is the true bus master and uses the master/slave status of the drives to route requests to the correct device and to determine the boot device. Though Ultra ATA supports a command queuing algorithm, it is rarely incorporated into devices, and thus the data bus is locked if a command to either drive is outstanding. Because of this, the bus bandwidth is shared between the master and slave devices when both are actively interacting with the host.
Serial ATA – Point to Point Connections for Dedicated Bandwidth
Serial ATA uses a point-to-point connection topology, meaning that each source is connected to one destination. Each channel has the capability to work independently so that there is no contention between drives and thus no sharing of interface bandwidth. This connection strategy also negates the need for master/slave jumper settings on devices.
It appears the newest design for SATA allows for speeds up to 3 Gb/s (that's giga-bits, not giga-bytes), but according to the specs, allows for only one drive per interface. Meanwhile, my Ultra320 SCSI controller has 5 interfaces, each capable of handling up to 16 drives, at a speed up to 320 MB/s (that's Mega Bytes), which equates to 2560 Mb/s. Not quite as fast as the SATA, but remembering that I can hook much more than one drive up, I can get parallel access (RAID x0, where x is 1, 5, or 0) to get much faster speeds.

It would have been nice to see SATA beat out SCSI, but it can't by its very design.

·
Premium Member
6,341 Posts
SATA and SCSI are meant for totally different applications so I wouldn't do a direct comparison. Most people don't have more than two hard drives so in that respect, SATA works rather well. If you want to look at a server version of SATA, go look at SAS.

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Syed: Yeah... just plug it in, of course after making sure that you have the necessary converter if your MoBo doesn't support it. I read an article that said there's less performance with it, but if its still a good MoBo, the performance penalty doesn't warrant a board replace.

Btw... in my experience, IDE seems to override the SATA as primary by default. So don't be surprised to see it try to boot the IDE drive when the settings go whack once in a while (usually after you rewire the connections for some reason). Also, installing WinXP from scratch on a SATA disk may necessitate installing the SATA drivers 1st. It's funny since Win98 has no qualms with it, but XP can't see it even if its life depended on it.

·
-PM to advertise here-
8,262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Kraelis said:
Syed: Yeah... just plug it in, of course after making sure that you have the necessary converter if your MoBo doesn't support it. I read an article that said there's less performance with it, but if its still a good MoBo, the performance penalty doesn't warrant a board replace.

Btw... in my experience, IDE seems to override the SATA as primary by default. So don't be surprised to see it try to boot the IDE drive when the settings go whack once in a while (usually after you rewire the connections for some reason). Also, installing WinXP from scratch on a SATA disk may necessitate installing the SATA drivers 1st. It's funny since Win98 has no qualms with it, but XP can't see it even if its life depended on it.
My mobo has two Sata connectors so its not a prob. Secondly, I'll be using it as a secondry ddrive so its all fine for me. Thirdly, we've got a shortage of 80GB WD 8MB buffer 7.2KRPM Sata here. The Seagates are available and a 10$ less than WD but it has only 1 year warranty and I've heard lots of stories of seagates going bad. So have to wait till next week. The WD costs 67$ here. Is the price ok?

·
Transcended
1,416 Posts
Syed Fawad said:
My mobo has two Sata connectors so its not a prob. Secondly, I'll be using it as a secondry ddrive so its all fine for me. Thirdly, we've got a shortage of 80GB WD 8MB buffer 7.2KRPM Sata here. The Seagates are available and a 10$ less than WD but it has only 1 year warranty and I've heard lots of stories of seagates going bad. So have to wait till next week. The WD costs 67$ here. Is the price ok?
That's actually cheaper than what I can normally buy retail from over here. :lol: I bought a Seagate Barracuda drive because my 10Gig IDE has been serving me well for almost 6 years now. My ancient Maxtor gave way and WDs are scarce here. Oh well... hope for the best.... But if WDs are good, then I'd recommend the wait unless the drives are pressing issues.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.