Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Unlimited...
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got 1mb (finally). And everything was working fine. With direct downloads i get avg 110kb-130kb but for torrents is not working. No matter what torrent i try to download, how many seeds or peers it has, it ALWAYS stays at 0.1kbs, 0.2kbs, 0.5kbs. Highest has been 2kbs for 3 seconds. Dont know why. I checked with 4 different programs already and it still the same. I checked with utorrent and the port is accepting connections. I can have 5 thousand seeders and it only connects to 3 or 4. Me and my friend have the same isp but he downloads just fine. Problem is something with me =\

He even gave me a torrent he was downloading at 80kbs but it didnt download for me. It was the same, 0.1kbs.

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
It isn't your ISP, it's your router.

These have to be right::

1. You need a tough router.
2. Open port
3. No firewall
4. Static ISP
5. P2P enabled
6. ALL security disabled(in your router settings).

Even if you do have everything seemingly right, a **** router can ruin a torrent connection. I recently bought a Belkin to replace an old Linksys router I had; set the exact same settings to the Belkin and for some reason it worked.

Quality parts, friend, quality parts.

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
I enable the encryption but it didnt work. And i dont know how to set it up as a bridge. The modem has only a reset button and no programs came with it.
The modem should have it's own IP adress on it's bottom next to its serial number. Punch it into your internet browser and it should get you into setting up your modem.

If that doesn't help, google the model number of your modem and version and discover how to get inside of it to port forward and/or set it up as a bridge. I'm sure you're not the only one with that modem that's had problems.

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
I think your ISP is throttling your P2P traffic (many do that). Try to "force" encryption and check, also try to "force download" (I often have to do that as well) and see if it works.

Also try updating uTorrent to v1.8.3b, I personally found it to be a bit faster

·
Registered
8,815 Posts
Having more open ports allows you to connect to more seeds and peers thus allowing more data to come in/go out.
Um, no. uTorrent will try to connect on a given port. If your router or firewall has the port blocked, then your connection will be ass, hence the need to open the port. You don't just open up a bunch of ports expecting uTorrent to use them all. :rolleyes:

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Some ISPs have cracked down on the whole torrent gimmick. It could be just your IP.

/looks at Avast on taskbar

I know it's a longshot...but have you tried with Avast off? I remember reading awhile back the Avast P2P scanner interfered with uTorrent...but that was a long while ago. It was probably fixed by now.

Also, you did put a limit on your upload speed and connections, right?

·
Registered Anime Hater
15,801 Posts
This is very important.

If I remember correctly, upload speed should be around 80-90% of max, and max download speed should be about the same.
Having it that way improves dl and ul speeds, but it doesn't mean that without it, speeds would be completely zero. He's probably facing some other problem.

·
Opensource-spice
1,704 Posts
Um, no. uTorrent will try to connect on a given port. If your router or firewall has the port blocked, then your connection will be ass, hence the need to open the port. You don't just open up a bunch of ports expecting uTorrent to use them all. :rolleyes:
Precisely, Spyhop. I spent a good three weeks messing around with my router; forwarding this and checking that. It was a nightmare but I now know just about everything I should know about a router or modem.

My problem was that my WRT couldn't handle the load; I had to get a new router to act as a gateway.

·
Your resident reaper...
7,319 Posts
Having it that way improves dl and ul speeds, but it doesn't mean that without it, speeds would be completely zero. He's probably facing some other problem.
Opening up yourself for maximum upload connections at unlimited speed will kill your connection. Limiting yourself doesn't necessarily mean it'll kill your download speed.

·
!
9,570 Posts
I recently got 1mb (finally). And everything was working fine. With direct downloads i get avg 110kb-130kb but for torrents is not working. No matter what torrent i try to download, how many seeds or peers it has, it ALWAYS stays at 0.1kbs, 0.2kbs, 0.5kbs. Highest has been 2kbs for 3 seconds. Dont know why. I checked with 4 different programs already and it still the same. I checked with utorrent and the port is accepting connections. I can have 5 thousand seeders and it only connects to 3 or 4. Me and my friend have the same isp but he downloads just fine. Problem is something with me =\

He even gave me a torrent he was downloading at 80kbs but it didnt download for me. It was the same, 0.1kbs.
I've 1MB and I get avg more than yours, Weird!
anyways The Windows Firewall thing isn't problem with Utorrent, Maybe you have to enable the P2P. Or Your "Weirdy" AV blocked ports, IF it has Special Firewall. check the Network Rules of that AV.
Opening up yourself for maximum upload connections at unlimited speed will kill your connection. Limiting yourself doesn't necessarily mean it'll kill your download speed.
If you Limit the upload speed at 15KB for example, will do nothing with the Download speed. In that way you can surf nicely.

·
Viking
27 Posts
I suggest trying another bit-torrent client (like: BitComet) and see if there's any difference.
Ew, noooo! That's bloated as hell! I don't think it's utorrent. I am pretty sure it's how either his router is configured or a firewall. It can't be a port because the checkmark is on the bottom of utorrent. He seems to be connected for inbound and outbound. Maybe you should check on your ISP's policy. If it's comcast, then that could be it.

·
Unlimited...
11,073 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Well i looked for the ip on the modem to try and mess the bridge option but didnt found it. Unless its inside, like on the battery. I turned off all firewalls and avast and still the same problem. Like i said before, my friend and i have the same ISP but he has no problems downloading torrents. So maybe its my computer or he got a different/better modem than i did =\

Something tells me is that bridge option but i just cant find the ip on the modem to configure it. Is there any other way to look for it?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.