Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. I am actually a RPG game fan and perfers mostly ancient/medival themes. Of course psx games seems to have alot of cutscenes and anime nowadays. Most of the time I get drawn in by the anime cutscenes rather than the gameplay.

Now I am searching for anime that is medival/fantasy style. So far I have watched the 1st released episode of Tales of Phantasia and is starting on Lodoss War. Are there other series that you might recommend?? Cliches are fine, as I would love to see anime using things from rpg games.

Secondly, I am also searching for comedy anime. Can't seem to get enough of those "anime-character freaking out" moments.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
I'd like to suggest Scrapped Princess from BONES.... even though I didnt like the ending it is one of the finest works you can find out there in this genre

Another option would br Junni Kokki, although it isn't really an RPG-ish set up (if i had to associate it with a style it'd be strategy) it is set up in a fantasy world that is pretty well constructed down to the smallest detail. This series is in fact my #1 in my anime list.

About comedy style anime the only one I have manged to bear (I'm not exactly a fan of the genre...) is Azumanga Daioh!

·
Premium Member
26,303 Posts
Rangnarock sucked. It started as it meant to go on, and it felt like it was filler eps. ROTW is good, both the TV and OVA, and I would concour with Proto's reccommendation.
The .hack series was an anime about a MMORPG.... they then created a series of games from it. .hack//sign was ok, but a bit slow .hack//dusk was kiddified and .hack//liminality was confusing as hell and set in the real world.
Wild Arms is quite fun although it doesn't seem to bear a great deal of resemblance to the small amount of the PSX game I played.
Arc The Lad I found to be cack, but Bareo informed me that it's quite good if you've played the game.
Other ones worth a look are Ima, Soko ni Iru Boku (Now and then, Here and There) - although I'm not certain that fits your criteria - and Slayers, Slayers Next and Slayers Try. I'm sure there are more which I've watched, but none which are yelling at me right now.
Slayers should start to fill your comedy desire, but I also reccommend Azumanga Daioh, Bobobo and Full Metal Panic ~Fumoffu~ (it does help if you've seen Full Metal Panic first, but it's not essential)

·
Premium Member
8,108 Posts
mecharmor23 said:
Hello all. I am actually a RPG game fan and perfers mostly ancient/medival themes. Of course psx games seems to have alot of cutscenes and anime nowadays. Most of the time I get drawn in by the anime cutscenes rather than the gameplay.

Now I am searching for anime that is medival/fantasy style. So far I have watched the 1st released episode of Tales of Phantasia and is starting on Lodoss War. Are there other series that you might recommend?? Cliches are fine, as I would love to see anime using things from rpg games.

Secondly, I am also searching for comedy anime. Can't seem to get enough of those "anime-character freaking out" moments.
There is also an anime series of Tales of Eternia, quite old but check it out, it is good. :)

Then we have Final Fantasy Unlimited, many people said it sucked, but weird enough, I loved it. Yes, the repetitive scenes are annoying but it is still good IMO.

For comedy, try "Jungle wa Itsumo Hare nochi Guu", there are three seasons of it and all of them are hilariously funny. :D

·
<font color="#990000"><b>Lurking</b></font>
9,358 Posts
Wild Arms Anime kicked @ss IMO, even though most of the eps were fillers. Another Anime you might wanna consider is Tales of Eternia ( 15-16 eps) and Tales kd Phantasia OVA ( it's still being released though... )

Yours,
-Elly

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Check out Louie the Rune Solder. It's set in a medieval/fantasy world and it's funny as well. The anime club at my school is watching it right now.

·
Knowledge is the solution
7,168 Posts
Dunno... I quite loved the Tales of Ethernia game but the anime wasn't all that good IMO... (mainly due to the fact that the whole series is a big promo for the game, where 80% of the chapters are plain fillers)

·
Registered
8,294 Posts
I'd go for Star Ocean EX(verrry gooood!) and tales of eternia... I know they're already said but they're actually only ones I've seen that I can actually call good ones... FFU was, uh, well it wasn't that great.

·
Registered MSX user
1,625 Posts
I have seen Star Ocean EX, too. Yeah, it's very good like Radix865 said.

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Berzerk

Escaflowne

Final Fantasy Unlimited (which sucks)

Final Fantasy: Legend of the Crystals (WHICH SUCKS EVEN MORE! Poorly resembles FF5, but whole anime is one pure blasphemy. good luck in finding it though)

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
Granted they are way too old, I suggest you try to find Entaku no Kishi Monogatari: Moero Arthur (which is the anime version of King Arthur) as well as Robin Hood no Daibôken (which is the anime version of Robin Hood). Both features really good plots and immersive medieval settings (specially Robin Hood no Daibôken)...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts