Next Generation Emulation banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've read many reviews proclaiming that the Soundblaster X-fi series is the best thing since sliced bread, at least for MP3s and PC gaming. I was wondering if it has a similar quality-enhancing effect on PSX games, or if the base sound quality in these games is so low that it wouldn't make much of a difference. Does anyone here have a Soundblaster X-fi? If so, I would love to hear your thoughts on it, especially in regards to ePSXe and other emulation.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
PSX sound is PSX sound, i dont think there's anything you can do to "enhance" it..i mean IMO perfect sound is the original sound, anything you change is just personal preference anyway..

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
I think he's referring to the Crystalizer, which could possibly enhance the sound. That feature seems to be a love/hate thing with people though, some people say it adds life, others say it makes the sound seem too "bright". The cards only came out two months ago and considering they aren't very cheap and that the sound card market isn't as hot as something like the processor or video card market, it'll probably be a while before a substantial amount of members test them with PSX emulators. I do see hushy's point though, PSX sound isn't your typical sound. It's not like it's MP3's or WAV's, most of the music is in a MIDI-esque format, although I'm not sure about the sound effects.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i mean IMO perfect sound is the original sound, anything you change is just personal preference anyway
Sorry, I should've worded my first post more carefully. I guess by "enhancing" the sound, I mean bringing it as close to the "original" as possible. The difference I'm referring to is not one of an actual change in the base sound itself, but more like a comparison between playing the game audio on the built-in speakers on a $50 TV, or playing the game audio on a $2000 high-fi speaker system.

But, as was mentioned earlier, PSX sound quality wasn't exactly audiophile level to begin with. It would probably make more of a difference on current and next-gen games, where the base audio quality is significantly higher (well, assuming they eventually get emulated anyway :D).

·
Registered
183 Posts
Oh, they have all been emulated so far...even the current gen consoles...just not to playable levels. It WILL happen though, and these consoles WILL have working emulators in the near future, as well as likely any new consoles to come out. Things like the Phantasy Star Online loader trick for gamecube I believe make that abundantly clear.

At any rate, I am a bit of an audiophile myself, and w/o using EAX, you will get the best possible sound on PSX emulation using anything from a SB Live and up. The new feature on the X-fi doesn't seem to be all that different from EAX except for the fact that it is loaded onto a chip and done purely through hardware. EAX just changes the sound...for better or worse is and always will be a matter of opinion.

Oh btw, I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, and the differences between my card and the X-fi Platinum seem marginal, even to me (not to mention they run the same price @ $199.99).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bluekirby0 said:
At any rate, I am a bit of an audiophile myself, and w/o using EAX, you will get the best possible sound on PSX emulation using anything from a SB Live and up. The new feature on the X-fi doesn't seem to be all that different from EAX except for the fact that it is loaded onto a chip and done purely through hardware. EAX just changes the sound...for better or worse is and always will be a matter of opinion.

Oh btw, I have a SB Audigy 2 ZS Platinum, and the differences between my card and the X-fi Platinum seem marginal, even to me (not to mention they run the same price @ $199.99).
Thanks bluekirby, that's just what I was looking for. Maybe I'll just save my $125 for a more worthwhile computer upgrade :thumb:

·
Premium Member
6,403 Posts
If you want a good sound card for cheap, take a look at the Audigy 2 Value. I have one and it sounds fantastic with anything I throw at it, especially PSX emulation. I think it's only around $50 or so on Newegg.

·
Premium Member
bsnes, ePSXe
23,380 Posts
to be honest i dont see why you'd want more than a standard Audigy (well unless you wanna do 6.1 or 7.1...) but i did 5.1 for so long with my Audigy1 and i still love it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.