Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
No$gba Philosopher
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things I know about Dolphin Extremum from many sources:

1. The game itself is built in Chinese. Probably Japanese. (Dolphin Emu Forums)
2. DolphinEX is for DirectX users. DolphinSP is for OpenGL users. (Dolphin Emu Forums) And Extremum is the EX version.
3. Mainly supported by vast Chinese gamers. (Some Chinese forums and blogs.)
4. They never release the source code. Reason why? They never thought of doing so. (All Chinese forums)
5. Currently, it's hard to find one. (By luck and chance, I found a direct link on a Chinese forum, speeds averaging only 2.3 Kbps, using DownThemAll! Firefox plugin, average speeds may be even lower.)
6. Many Chinese forum members are using Intel GMA series. Thus the high number of supporters. (In a Chinese forum.)
7. Unless we can find ourselves a source code for the Extremum version, this build isn't legal in the Dolphin Emu Forums community, saying it is against the forum rules, and against the Open Source license for not releasing the source to the public. (Dolphin Emu Forums)
8. Latest build is DolphinExtremum r2.000. (Dolphin2000Ex)

So, I am wondering:

1. Is this legal to discuss about?
2. Has anyone else heard of it before me?
3. Did someone try it out?
4. Is reverse-engineering an open-source build legal?
5. Is it from Japan, or from China?
6. Can I upload this build here?

Thanks.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
Look like they are trying the use source code and release back for locally user i see nothing is wrong as long as they give credit to at least the root author
japanese people dont have freetime on those lols they barely have free time most likely from chinese developer

·
No$gba Philosopher
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, I still don't have the right answers for my 6 questions.

I'm still checking to see if it gives credit to the root authors.

For the source code, I'm also searching for it. I just need a keyword: "Source" in Chinese.

EDIT: Found the author. His name is called: 蓝色宇宙 (Blue Universe), he's the author of Extremum. Does anyone here knows Simplfied Chinese?

EDIT #2: Now asking him to release the source code. I hoped my Chinese is good enough for him.

·
Registered
382 Posts
So, I am wondering:

1. Is this legal to discuss about?
-> It should be, but the thing in itself isn't because the source code isn't released, which is a violation of the GPL 2 license.

2. Has anyone else heard of it before me?
-> Of course :p

3. Did someone try it out?
-> i didn't, but as far as i can tell it's all traduced, and it's tweaked here and there, if i'm not mistaken, it doesn't use the OGL plugin, hence why it works with integrated intel GMA cards

4. Is reverse-engineering an open-source build legal?
-> it makes no sense. Why would you reverse-engineer something if you've got the source code ?!

6. Can I upload this build here?
-> it's NOT supported, I don't think it's a good idea, as it's even illegal because of the unreleased source code.

Thanks.
If you get him to release the source code, then it's another story :p

·
No$gba Philosopher
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oops, I told him he violated GPLv3 license. Does that counts?

·
Premium Member
8,884 Posts
Until he provides the source code and log of the changes he made, these builds will not be supported.

I'm going to leave this thread open for now, however no links to these builds are allowed to be posted.

I however would not advise anyone to use these builds, the interface is in Japanese, things have been stripped out, functionality is questionable, without the source code and list of changes, he could of embedded anything into the emulator such as malware or anything else that is of a questionable nature.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
Not japanese i see the build is very active in chinese forums x2d make sure u see there are hiragana or katakana characters if not it is chinese :p

·
Emulator user since 2006
110 Posts
I've downloaded this emulator and I gotta say that it's the same as official dolphin, no speed up, same old OpenGL, DirectX plugins. Don't bother searching for it.

·
Registered
113 Posts
hiragana or katakana what?
Japanese writing is composed of 3 writing systems - kanji, hirigana and katakana. Kanji comes from Chinese, but hirigana and katakana do not. If there is no hirigana or katakana script, then it is definately Chinese.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
Originally katakana and some hiragana are simplified from kanji aka ka for katakana and se for hiragana etc for example.japanese just copy from chinese and edit to make some uniqe.chinese is the mothership for all katakana ;)

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
Yet u have anime ava xd :p

·
No$gba Philosopher
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Oh boy!

I'll tell you what I know so far. But I do admit I have trouble reading it properly, although I have Traditional Chinese installed.

The language part is out of my limit, so please don't ask me that.

I assure you, I found the author of it, he is in a Chinese forum, so-called "TGBus Forums", and they are very active in emulation. I hate to say this, but they are inside one of the most complicated firewalls ever existed on Planet Earth: China's Great Wall.

It's kind of hard to track them down, but I had them.

===============================================================

Anyway, about DolphinEx. I do have it, by going through a long, not-going-to-reveal-the-path-to-it, and rough way. It's a version 1.872.

It's made into an installer, with Mario character icons. There's no malware, spyware, or anything in it. (I already have genuine ESET Smart Security 4 installed, at the latest version, so I'm pretty sure it's safe.)

But I'm going to tell you the bad news.

1. The Pad setup is no longer customizable.
2. It's practically the same as Dolphin SVN <2483. In other words, it's worse than SVN 2483.
3. The graphics suck more than anything you've encountered. (I tested this with SSBM, and I could see a lot of weird things, especially seeing a Cyclops Kirby. He has one eye!!)
4. You can't even read the menu.
5. It stalls whenever you quit.

But there's good news:

1. There are two versions. EX and SP, both are included within the installer.
2. EX are primarily for Intel GMA series. SP are primarily for OpenGL users.
3. No viruses, malwares, spyware, ad-wares, etc. All 100% clean. (Scanned by ESET.)
4. Can run in an English environment. So no need for Chinese language installed.
5. For some unknown reasons, when I tested Extremum, it plays a lot faster than Dolphin SVN 2483. I don't know if this may give hint that the author knows how to fix the GMA problems.

Original SVN 2483's FPS: around 20, flopping up and down rapidly. Gotta hate my computer.
Extremum FPS: around 21, but flops sharply, but not in rapid sessions. Every minute, it flops down to a low 10 FPS.

======================

Still, no replies from the author. Since he made the Dolphin like an installation executable instead of a simple application, I wondered if that's okay with the GPL license. Yes, I know he hasn't release the source code, so I need someone to contact the root author of Dolphin, and ask them to send a ceast and desist letter to this Dolphin Extremum authors. Spelling is correct?

So, any more questions about Dolphin Extremum? I'd be glad to answer them for you.

·
I m meow desu! ^_^
5,631 Posts
It is not svn 2843 i read somewhere they modify the codes and keep the change log up to more than 1000 revision dont know what is added it is all in chinese

·
Premium Member
2,657 Posts
This thread is funny. Heheh.
The guy who makes the EX/Extremum thingies just toys with the text. Nothing less, nothing more.

If the source is available to the public he just edits the interface text on the source and rebuilds at most or he might be even using a resource editing application to do that without the source.
In the case of closed source emulators he definitely uses a resource editor. He did that with nullDC and he'll do it again in the future I suppose. :x3:

·
Registered
233 Posts
There go them chinese doing there knock-off tactics again....LOL

No credit will go to them for messing with text files and changing the GUI.
Shame on them, and there third-world intel integrated graphics /PIII cpu computers.

·
No$gba Philosopher
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
It's P4 Centrino, they said.

This thread is funny. Heheh.
The guy who makes the EX/Extremum thingies just toys with the text. Nothing less, nothing more.

If the source is available to the public he just edits the interface text on the source and rebuilds at most or he might be even using a resource editing application to do that without the source.
In the case of closed source emulators he definitely uses a resource editor. He did that with nullDC and he'll do it again in the future I suppose. :x3:
I'm confused how this is funny. oO

1 - 20 of 32 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.