Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, since a recent power outtage, my PC has been acting like a retard, getting trashy display and hanging/rebooting for no apparent reason.

Yesterday it came to the point that my 3D card (5600u), just wouldn't display anything correctly (just purple yellow, and bule vertical stripes), so, I switched for my old and trusty GeForce 2 Pro, put it back in, and everything worked, for about 10 minutes....

I then made a reset of the bios with the jumper, restarted the PC, everything was fine, but, it seems that now, the PC can't bear being overclocked at anything more than 3200+ speeds (2.2GHz), or it'll give me similar display error as with the 5600 ultra (similar, but not the same), when it used to run fine at 2.4 GHz, since I've lowered the clock speed and started using the GeForce 2, the whole system is fine and stable, so, I wondered if you guys, hardware gurus could give your advice about what could be the faulty hardware, CPU or mobo ? (RAM is most likely out of the question, it just went through 5 passes of memtest 86)

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
If you have another decent PSU at your disposal, that would be the first thing I'd try to replace and see. All your errors seem to point to that direction.

·
Registered
331 Posts
yea, the psu seems to be the problem. whenever you have a power outage, make sure you unplug all your electrical devices from the electrical outlets in your walls to prevent power surges when the power comes back on, even if you have power surge protectors. this is a safety measure i always follow to make sure none of my valuables get fried :).

·
Super Moderator
6,283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, indeed dudes, it was the PSU, right after I posted that thread, passive told me on IRC that all the errors were leading to the PSU, so, I got my old and trusty 300w out of its box, and tried the PC with it, everything went back as usual (well, with a bit more noise and apparently not enough power to feed everything, but, all the major issues were gone), so, I decided to open my deffective PSU to be sure it was the problem, and one of the capacitors was leaking, which proved the PSU to be the problem, I ordered a new one a few moments ago, and should be getting it tomorrow, thanks for your replies guys ;)

eternal11 said:
yea, the psu seems to be the problem. whenever you have a power outage, make sure you unplug all your electrical devices from the electrical outlets in your walls to prevent power surges when the power comes back on, even if you have power surge protectors. this is a safety measure i always follow to make sure none of my valuables get fried :).
Well, it happened while I was sleeping anyway, so, unless it'd have woke me up, I couldn't do a thing ;)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts