Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, a while back my computer started to reset itself randomly. An hour or two passed then the computer restarted from nothing.

What have I done so far?. I ran hijackthis without a troyan or something weird, also a full system antivirus scan without a threat, reinstalled windows, checked my HD for any bad sector(the HD is fine), ran memtest 3 complete runs without a problem but the voltages monitored in my mobo were:

For the:

12V rail: 11.8V
3.3V rail: 2.9V
5V rail: 5.05V

So I suspected that the PSU might be the problem, I measured the voltages directly form the PSU and the main PSU connector that goes to the mobo had the three 3.3V pins burned as well as the mobo's 3.3V connector area, the funny thing is that the 3.3V voltage I measured from the PSU measured 3.34V which is fine, so WTF?. The electrolytic capacitors that are in the procesor voltage regulators area have spilled the electrolyt and is dry already, the top of the capacitors have all poped up so this is not good. The PSU quad connector the one with 2 yellow wires and 2 black wires, the 12V one measured 11.75V which is also low. So what do you think that are the faulty componenets the PSU & mobo? because I've replaced my thermaltake 420W PSU(the suspected faulty one) for a 350W watts PSU and the voltages are all in range but the computer restarted again not as often as before but I believe that the mobo got damaged as well.

Which might be the faulty component? the mobo? or the processor(it's running at 34°C idle, 53°C full load)

·
Registered
669 Posts
my computer once started to reset itself randomly for some unknown reason some time ago, and after a few days, it suddenly stopped doing it, and it hasn't done so since. I hadn't done any hardware changes or overclocking or installed any apps before or during that time, so it was very strange that it would do so. (I doubt that exactly the same is happening to you...)

·
War Games coder
1,926 Posts
You mentioned popped caps... if they were on the mobo, replace the mobo (possibly they were good caps just before they blew... and putting fresh caps would only blow the fresh caps... but if you've got the time and tools, you can try replacing the caps). If they were on the PSU, you've already replaced it... however, a surge could still have damaged just about anything in the machine.

Unfortunately, what you have there is an intermittent problem. Whatever you try, it will take some time to determine if it actually fixed the problem. Worse, it could even be a combination of issues (so replacing just 1 component may not solve it). If I were to take a stab at it, I'd guess at the mobo... but that's just an educated guess.

Also, you downgraded your PSU. I haven't a clue what devices you're running (processor, number of hard drives, number of DVD-ROMs, whatever else you may have plugged into the PSU)... And bear in mind if you have an unusual setup, wattage may mean very little. For example, my server runs 10 hard drives. A normal 550W power supply was very strained handling that. However, a 450W power supply rated for more current running down the 12V line had no problems whatsoever... and can handle an additional 5 drives.

·
Registered
2,229 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
mhh I don't think is a wattage issue, with the previous PSU I had a CD-RW, a DVD-ROM a single HD, floppy, a GF4 Ti 4600, a couple of NICs, two 80mm fans. The mobo is a Intel D865PERL and a P4 2.8C HT processor, as you see I don't overclock as the mobo doesn't allow to do it.

As for changing the capacitors, I thought about that but as you say the surge might or might not damaged something else in the mobo not only the capacitors, not to mention that I haven't seen high quality capacitors around here in order to match the quality of the damaged ones.

I think I'm going to replace the mobo, unfortunately I can't get a good PSU because the retailers don't have them in their stocks right now.

Any other ideas? anyone?

·
band
4,912 Posts
thats the first time ive heard of a problem like this with Intel boards :S

good luck with the rma tho phoenix.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts