Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what in general is the hardest part of emulator develoment?
bios, speed, compatability, where to start, etc. question is not aimed directly at ps2 emulator development just emulator development in general so if theres any past or current developers out there please share your input.

·
The seeker of perfection
3,628 Posts
Bios is the easiest part, you just have to find a methid to dump it. The hard part is emulating the processors since they will eat all of your cpu power without too much effort. They have to find a way where they can get a proper coded emut that can handle instructions in a better way.
Where to start could be a big problem also. DSee what happens with system22. As there is no documentation the sound can't be emulated right now and it's future doesn't look too promising.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
yeh emulating the hardware is very difficult, in pretty much every case you have to try and emulate what the hardware would do perfectly, that means doing everything the same time the hardware would giving the correct response. It might sound simple enough but i know with the playstation 2 it can run some commands over a couple of cycles, for example it could run one thing, then waits while another command runs, then goes back to the last one, can be a complete pain.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok thanks guys! :D
New question when it comes to displaying graphics in an emulator and you have a problem, would you say it is more likely a rendering problem plugin problem or emulator problem? This assumeing you have a good video card and recent drivers.(just updated mine) For example one of the screenshots of Dragonball Z that show piccolo doing a destructive wave both characters seem strange looking as if they were diamond clumped together lol. What you think that most likely is. Thanks in advance :thumb:

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
altho this should now be in the programming section cos its kinda off topic, but your problem sounds more like setting the co-ordintates and mapping them to the screen thats the problem, but it could be either before the data is sent to the graphics plugin or the plugin after its recieved the data that something has gone astray or been missed.

·
Premium Member
6,071 Posts
And if you want tpo program an emulator yourself someday, DO NOT start with a recent console. Start with Chip8 or GameBoy, then move up to NES or Atari. When you feel you are good enough, attempt SNES (Warning: a VERY tricky system). Don't even think about PSX or N64 until you can consider yourself ellite. And when you are a God, you may attempt PS3 :)

·
Registered
7,330 Posts
Moved, as this doesn't directly pertain to PCSX2.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Unfortunatly, while Chip8 is very easy, any other real system is going to be much harder to emulate. Also, if the authors knew the exact cause of the glitches then they would be fixed. Emulation is complex and a bug in a seemingly unrelated area can very difficult to track and fix.

·
PCSX2 Coder
10,122 Posts
this is true, but at least chip 8 gives you a good idea on how emulation works.

getting a chip8 emulator to work perfectly can actually be a lot harder than you think!

initially laying it out is easy enough, its just after that.

also you can use it to try different methods of optimization like using tables instead of switches, or if you're feeling daring, dynamic recompiling instead of interpreter.

·
Registered
907 Posts
i just had to code for school a programm that creates actually some sund *g*
using the OPL 2 Chip and Dos.
To Programm a Sounds Chip with ASM is REALLY NOT funny ...
what i want to say regarding the "old" main topic, yes hardware emulating must be very hard especially to recreate the Interrupt behavior O_O OMG i got a lankily glimmer of what horror emu authors have to go through....if i then imagine that on certain consoles ther isn´t even proper documentation... i silmply can say WOHA
Respect!
wbr Shin Gouki

1 - 11 of 11 Posts