Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got this new 160gig drive. Why is it that windows only lets me put 130gigs on one partion? I cant Put the other 40 on a seperat partion either. the setup tells me that when i creat a new one its also reserved for windows?? oO

·
Registered
184 Posts
You might have to download a big drive enabler, I had to when I installed a 250gig Maxtor. What it basically does is change a setting in your registry, I don't remember what the exact string was but it was something like "lba drive enable". It should already be enabled 'cause your running sp2, drives over 126gigs were enabled in sp1. It's also possible that you have a jumper on the drive set wrong. My Maxtor has 2 extra pins that lets the bios detect it with other settings.

Have you tried the support section on the Seagate website?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
hears what the instruction says

Drives with a 40-GB Capacity or greater are limited to 32GB use this jumper only if you have a legacy system with a bios that does not support large capacity disc drives. When using the alterantive capacity jumper, Manger software is required to achieve the drive's full capacity.
Yeah it I need to download The manager software :cry: Is it going to make me reinstall windows entirely?

EDIT
okay i have the software. i tried to grow the current partion but it wont let me. (sorry this is the first comptuer i built so this is my frist time to use a drive larger than 40gig :) ) Do i have to get new bios from intel? (their website seems to be down??)

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
It might be motherboard or something. I couldn't use all 160gb on my intel 815e without using a ide controller card (or something like that) but can use it on Elite K7VTA3.

·
Registered
184 Posts
You shouldn't have to update your board, it should be new enough to support the drive. No controller card needed.

What board do you have?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Player-X said:
Are you using NTFS or Fat32, NTFS shoud be able to handle partitions up to a few terrabytes if I am not mistaken
yeah im using ntfs. for some reason it doesnt like to create another partion. nor does it want to grow the one im on. do i have to use that disc tools startup disc thing to fix this?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Wouldnt make a differance, Last time i tried That It wouldnt let me make a Partition Larger than 130Gig's. if i split it into two partitions would it let me grow the second one?

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thats whats been bugging me. the bios are supposed to beable to handel large capacity drives , hell its picking up that the max is 160gigs but its windows setup thats being a pain. what else can i use besides that to partion the drive? preferably without reinstalling my os . im going to do that as a last resort option cuz reinstalling is becoming a pain :hdbash:

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
I think BIOS can pick up the info but might not be able to use it. My nforce2 can detect the 160GB but can't use the whole drive (but 120gb drive works).

·
Registered
2,535 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well This is something new, i just created a Fixed ISO Using Nlite. Slipstreamed SP2 Onto the disc. And its picking up more of the drive now. it let me install 149GB of it. Dont know where the other 11gigs are. but the disc wizard software is picking it up as 160 Gigs oO oh well. I got most of it now. its still really weird

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
Congratulations :D You got the whole disk working now ;)
A 160GB disk only has 160000000000 bytes (I think) and 160000000000/1024/1024/1024 => 149 GB!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts