Next Generation Emulation banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just finished my newest portable its a Dreamcast Portable. This project took about a month to complete. It run's off 2 7.2v 3000 mha batteries, has a 5" psone screen and odd and end's parts. When I first tested the batteries it ran for 3hr runing on the TV (thats with no 5" screen). Im in the prosses of charging the batteries right now. When Im done I'll run it with the batteries in and let everyone know how long they last. Im also going to write a how to on this portable so everyone can see how I did this. Feel free to sign my guestbook and let me know what you think about my portables, and thanks for stopping by.....

Dave

Source: www.dcemulation.com
http://www.portablesystems.bravepages.com/

More images here

Nice to see this, though it still is a bit bulky for a handheld console. If he uses the new DC-in-a-chip chip it might be a bit less messy on the inside. Another nice improvement would be the use of a large flash card on which an ISO of a game can be stored so the whole system can be smaller :D

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Looks pretty smart, though the battery life would suck with the screen running. Also, a bit on the big side, but there is not really a way around that.

·
Thinking outside the box
1,570 Posts
wont it be heavy ? And wont the laser or something miss (the old discmans.. thingie dunno what happens) when u move it to much ?

·
Psychotic Robot Master
1,477 Posts
holy raped babies, I want one! :wub:

·
old-timer
1,330 Posts
the casing is sweeter than i imagined

·
"Insert witty title here"
1,049 Posts
Bulky or not, it's still small enough to carry with you and play. Dear God, I would love to have a portable PS2 :drool:

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wow dreamcast portable. But im more interested in the ps2 portable. I would love to have either on my 11 hr trip to Peru this Christmas. But kinda sucks about the batterylife but the projects looked really cool. Wish i could be creative and do something like that.

·
1,049 Posts
D.D. Ben's design looks way too cumbersome. It'd be really annoying to play. Although, if he built them and sold them, I'd probably buy one ASAP :). There's no way I could build one myself.

·
Registered
833 Posts
bcrew1375 said:
D.D. Ben's design looks way too cumbersome. It'd be really annoying to play. Although, if he built them and sold them, I'd probably buy one ASAP :). There's no way I could build one myself.

Yeah the design is kinda cumbersome espically for fighting games. But great system for rpgs. If you wanna his system he's selling the ps2 portable. Just click "Buy Portables!" at http://www.benheck.com/ . He doesnt list the price but you can email him. Since you would probably buy one ASAP.

·
1,049 Posts
He says it's the most expensive one he's ever built. Which means it's probably way beyond my price range. Also, if I'm going to buy it, I'd prefer it be new, not used. I'm not going to pay an outrageous price just to have it die in a few months. I don't need one THAT bad I guess :p. If he comes up with a better design and starts selling them new THEN I might reconsider :). Yeah, I know I'm picky, sue me.

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I foresee more problems with the cooling of this thing. The DC needs a fan, and since the DC already was quite a compact thingie, this handheld will need some good cooling.

·
~ Lord of Darkness ~
15,407 Posts
As a matter of fact the DC cooling system was awful... after 3-4 hours of playing the console raised a lot of temperature. Besides, come to think about it... how comfortable could it be to have a noisy cooler on your hands? Though it could be interesting to have something cooling your hands... :p

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
LOL, yeah the DC would get quite warm, especially during those 10 hour nighttime sessions of Skies of Arcadia :heh:

Not even mentioning the way they put some stickers on the bottom of the console, which blocked the openings where cold air should be drawn in oO

·
Emulation to the max!
2,560 Posts
Cool work dude... but I already have a portable dreamcast... a.k.a. my pc.
j/k
No but seriously a bit big for my taste but that is one kick ass idea none the less, and I must say great design and workmanship. You should try selling it to sega! :thumb:

·
The Hunter
15,879 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It will take some marketing strategies to sell this thing, it won't be a wise idea to let Sega handle that ;)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts