1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
It's a Spinning Smile!
5,309 Posts
So wait, let me get this straight, people want an film based on a predictable, done it before plot, about a game that has AI which pac-man could beat, set absolutely no new standards for the genre. Half Life deserved a film more than that sh1t ;)

Hell you want a film, lets have Devil May Cry, or a Metal Gear Solid!

·
Quad Core FTW!!!
778 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just to prove it, check bungie.net. they answered some questions about it in the weekly whats update

Bungie said they read a rough draft of the script and thought it was awesome. Also, on the bungie.net forums, there was a "Halo Movie" topic that was most popular for like more then 3 months...

I just dont see how its going to work out..

·
Registered
858 Posts
CKemu said:
So wait, let me get this straight, people want an film based on a predictable, done it before plot, about a game that has AI which pac-man could beat, set absolutely no new standards for the genre. Half Life deserved a film more than that sh1t ;)

Hell you want a film, lets have Devil May Cry, or a Metal Gear Solid!
devil may cry would be awsome, there sorta metal gear films...escape from newyork and la..snake plissken lol

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
It could be a great movie, IMHO, if it were done right.

But seeing how movie versions of videogames usually turn out to be crap, I don't have much hope...

And CKemu, the game AI doesn't matter for the movie :p

·
It's a Spinning Smile!
5,309 Posts
No, but if the acting is as stiff as the AI, heh, you've got no hope for a decent film :)

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
That's a good point ;)

But the real problem with this kind of movie is not the acting, but the script itself. They usually change and distort the story so much, that you can't even recognize it anymore, if not for the name of the movie.

House of the Dead and Alone in the Dark are perfect examples. Resident Evil is an order of magnitude better, but it's still bad.

·
Wind, Life, Eternity
1,331 Posts
What are you talking about? Resident Evil rocks :lol: There are all these special effects and guys with armor but died and girls without armor but lived!!
This shows that armor doesn't matter when fighting zombies.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Why do people want movies based off video games? Forget the fact that 99% of previous game -> movie conversions have sucked - I strongly believe that video games are a far more flexible and BETTER story telling medium.

The main reason is that plots can be as long as they want in video games. 10 hours is considered short for a game... plenty of games take 30+ hours, others take 50 or more. How can you jam so much plot and content into a 2 hour movie (most movies aren't even that long... more like an hour and a half) - you can't... so you end up with an extremely watered-down version of the plot. Hell, sometimes even a completely new and different plot that simply shares a few similar elements to the game plot.

Movie conversions also have a hard time recreating the immersion factor that good games have. When you go from an active medium like games to a completely passive medium, there's always going to be a sense that "something is missing".

The final problem is that games don't really have to worry about casting. Arguments about crappy voice acting notwithstanding, video game characters can look and act however they want without having to rely on what an actor brings to a role. In movies, a poorly cast role can seriously hurt the feel of the entire movie and "ruin" a character. This is especially an issue with video game movies since they still are considered as somewhat B-movies, so they don't have the best actors playing the roles.

Bottomline for me, I believe games are the ultimate story telling medium. Don't get me wrong, I love movies, and movies are still a very expressive medium especially cause they're so accessible - but there's a reason that game -> movie conversions suck.

·
Foundry/Foundation
11,688 Posts
Just as long as Cortana will be hot - hey, it worked for Tomb Raider (which wasn't even all that bad as long as you forgot it was based on a game)

·
!!!METAL UNCLE!!!
1,951 Posts
Player-X said:
Any bets on how it's going to get screwed up?

100$ on option: Its going to be All-action-no-brains-nor-creativity movie like most action films nowadays.

·
Retired
8,882 Posts
Kellicros said:
Blame Uwe Boll for that, the dude directed that two films, he is now doing the Bloodrayne movie and I bet it is gonna suck too.
Yep, Uwe Boll is one of the crapiest movie directors around (I mean, among those who get actual publicity).

Kellicros said:
P/S: look at his website for some good laugh. :p
Great link :lol: :rotflmao: :lol:

Anyway, Hollywood is notoriously bad at making game -> movie conversions (and book -> movie conversions as well). Doom, anyone? :p

And here's more Uwe Boll for you ;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts